• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just got our first Dragon. So much to learn....

Lizard (Kyle)

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

My wife was given a small dragon for her birthday on Monday, so here we are looking for as much information as possible. We've always wanted one, but just never got around to it. Well, that time is now, obviously. We did a ton of research in the past so we still have a general idea of needs, but learning more as we go. Still need a few things, but we're getting there, slowly.

Not sure of his/her exact age, but was told it may be a red leatherback.

I'm sure there's a ton of info here, and will definitely keep us busy reading.
Looking forward to learning all we can to provide a good environment.

Thanks,
Kyle

LiamR

Hatchling Dragon
Hello and welcome to the forum! If you want to tell a Beardie's age, it is quite simple.

2 bumps - Male
1 bump - Female
c9w8g.jpg
vwbc2.jpg

Hope you learn a ton more than you already did while staying here. Good luck!

Image source from StackExchange.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hello and welcome to the forum! If you want to tell a Beardie's age, it is quite simple.

2 bumps - Male
1 bump - Female
c9w8g.jpg
vwbc2.jpg

Hope you learn a ton more than you already did while staying here. Good luck!

Image source from StackExchange.
This is how to tell sex, not age. It’s very hard to tell age without knowing the hatch date. There are so many factors involved when it comes to size. I’ve seen 2’uear old dragons that look like 2 month old dragons because they didn’t have the proper care.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome! Glad to have ya, if you look at the links below several of our comments we've put together info for new comers for reference.

LiamR

Hatchling Dragon
This is how to tell sex, not age. It’s very hard to tell age without knowing the hatch date. There are so many factors involved when it comes to size. I’ve seen 2’uear old dragons that look like 2 month old dragons because they didn’t have the proper care.
Oh yes, sorry my mistake! I got it messed up completely whether it was the age or sex.

Lizard (Kyle)

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Will try to determine sex this weekend.
Figure I'll be working on a larger enclosure in the next month or two. Not sure how long a 20L tank will suffice, but I don't want it to be cramped in any way. And, of course I'll geek it out, as I'm looking into an Arduino controller to monitor the temps and such.
I did a search, but didn't really find a lot of posts concerning controllers. Once I get to that point I'll try to remember to take plenty of pics and post a walkthrough.

Thanks again

LiamR

Hatchling Dragon
Figure I'll be working on a larger enclosure in the next month or two. Not sure how long a 20L tank will suffice, but I don't want it to be cramped in any way. And, of course I'll geek it out, as I'm looking into an Arduino controller to monitor the temps and such.
I did a search, but didn't really find a lot of posts concerning controllers. Once I get to that point I'll try to remember to take plenty of pics and post a walkthrough.

Thanks again
No problem, hope you enjoy your time here!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

Thanks again

The general rule is a tank that is 2x as long as the dragon and as tall and wide as the dragon. That's why the 36x18x18 is the min. On average dragons are 18" give or take a few inches.