• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just got a new baby beardie!

Sera_J

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all, my baby Alduin just came home a few days ago (like, 3 or 4?) and won't eat his mealworms (only eats his crickets) and keeps running away whenever I try to pet him or pick him up. I'm trying my best to carefully slide my hand under his belly but he's too skittish and likes to run around the cage. Is this normal, is he just trying to get used to his new environment? IMG_20200523_160649.jpgIMG_20200525_072714656.jpg

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hello and welcome to the forum!! mealworms first baby beardies aren’t actually recommend because they are hard to digest can cause impaction, so it’s okay that he’s not eating them :)
he could just be nervous around you. try putting your hand in his tank without touching him for small increments so he learns that you aren’t dangerous. hand (or tong) feeding can also help so he’ll learn to associate you with food!

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
another thing to remember is to be patient. when he lets you hold him, don’t take him all the way out of his tank yet. just keep in in your hands for a little while so he has the option to leave if he feels like it. gradually take him out so you don’t scare him!

Sera_J

Bearded Dragon Egg
another thing to remember is to be patient. when he lets you hold him, don’t take him all the way out of his tank yet. just keep in in your hands for a little while so he has the option to leave if he feels like it. gradually take him out so you don’t scare him!

yeah about that. I just got back to check in today and I think I already scared him half to death today. I successfully slowly picked him up and held him but he was out of his cage and he jumped out and bolted toward the door, getting stuck in the crack. I didn't think he would be that skittish but I was proven wrong and terrified I would lose him!

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello and welcome to the Forum! Often times bearded dragons don't eat when they first arrive. I like to not mess with them for the first 3 days or until they start eating normally. That way they don't get too scared and can feel more secure in their own tank.

MerithD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all, my baby Alduin just came home a few days ago (like, 3 or 4?) and won't eat his mealworms (only eats his crickets) and keeps running away whenever I try to pet him or pick him up. I'm trying my best to carefully slide my hand under his belly but he's too skittish and likes to run around the cage. Is this normal, is he just trying to get used to his new environment?View attachment 22219View attachment 22220
Hey all, my baby Alduin just came home a few days ago (like, 3 or 4?) and won't eat his mealworms (only eats his crickets) and keeps running away whenever I try to pet him or pick him up. I'm trying my best to carefully slide my hand under his belly but he's too skittish and likes to run around the cage. Is this normal, is he just trying to get used to his new environment?View attachment 22219View attachment 22220
Congratulations on your beautiful beardie! As adorable as he is patience is key! At this age in rhe wild everything he encounters would look at him as a tasty snack.They get more relaxed and cuddly at 18 mos. They may go through a grumpy teen stage first so hang in there because it is a wnderful fun ride and very worth the wait!

Mr Sandman

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is so cute
[/QUO

Mr Sandman

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is adorable! I just got ours Friday. Mine isn't eating much either. Although, I just got him out and he finally ate a worm out of a bowl from my hand. Just one but at least it something. He has only eaten 2 other worms since being home. So I totally feel your stress with feeding! Anyway, congrats!

Mirandasue

Bearded Dragon Egg
I must say my 3 week old baby has some trouble eating but when I finally got my dubia roaches in he couldnt get enough!! Try those!