• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just Another Substrate Question

jhs0718

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone, again! My questions are on the most controversial topic amongst bearded dragon owners. Substrate! I will start with the question. What should I use for the most natural feeling and looking environment that is the safest?

Now, most of you will read that question and simply say, "This question has been answered thousands of times and the answer is slate tile." You are probably right, and that is probably what I will end up going with. However, I find tile to be extremely unnatural and unappealing. I think that it is our job to replicate the animal's natural environment as best as possible, which IMHO slate tile does not do. So what would an alternative be that is safe and natural looking and feeling? All I can find is a mixture of soil, clay and sand. Based on what their environment is in the wild, that sounds like the best alternative to tile to me. However, I still would be concerned about cost effectiveness, impaction and cleaning of this type of substrate. However, as far as impaction goes, nobody is out there in the wild telling them not to eat the dirt because they may get impacted and die. That being said, that may also be a reason why they have a lower lifespan in the wild. Also, I have watched a video by LLLReptile.com that stated that their favorite substrate to use for babies/juveniles is Eco Earth, and their favorite substrate for adults is Sani-Chips. If I could get some UNBIASED opinions on that, that would be helpful. My only concern about both of those substrates would be how soft they are and after reading about it, prolonged exposure to it could lead to joint problems. Not sure how true that is.

So, if anyone could provide UNBIASED opinions on substrates that would be the most natural for a bearded dragon, that would be helpful. Please refrain from saying, "slate tile is the only option and your pet will die if you use a loose particle substrate." Why do I want you to refrain from saying that, because it is not true and for others out there that are confused about which substrate to use, they will read that and truly believe that their pet will die if they every put them on a loose particle substrate, and then you just created another "never loose particle substrate because it will kill your pets" person.

P.S. Most of my comments made throughout this extremely long question are for pure fun and are not meant to anger anyone! Also, I know I was all over the place in this post. Most of my thoughts just were being typed in no particular order. Also! I am only 17, so do not get overly annoyed, I'm young and still ignorant. lol Hope you enjoyed my question! And, yes, I am looking for serious answers.

Paul Esposito

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have my little guy on 50%topsoil 30%sand 20% sphagnum moss hes in a live set up woth leaf litter
5977fe9a45eaff700eccc3563c989031.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jhs0718

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have my little guy on 50%topsoil 30%sand 20% sphagnum moss hes in a live set up woth leaf litter
5977fe9a45eaff700eccc3563c989031.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome. Only concern would be cleaning. Or are you saying it's a live setup as in you don't have to clean? Other than that, I don't see why there would be an impaction risk, so this seems like a good idea. Thanks for the response!

Paul Esposito

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have isopods and springtails they do the clean up i usually will pick up big poop if its not to big i leave it and ive havent had a problem with impaction cause I handfeed him hes alittle spoiled lol

jhs0718

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have isopods and springtails they do the clean up i usually will pick up big poop if its not to big i leave it and ive havent had a problem with impaction cause I handfeed him hes alittle spoiled lol

Awesome. I plan on feeding outside of the cage anyway. Not sure if I will want any bugs roaming around in there so I'd stick to spot cleaning the poop lol and change the whole thing like once a month maybe.

Paul Esposito

Bearded Dragon Egg
No dont change it let to grow let the bacteria grow in the tank thats what the clean up crew is for the bearded dragon never bothers the isopods or springtails