• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It’s a big, scary world out there!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey all, sorry I haven’t been on. Today the sun is shining, it’s 78 F, and I decided to take Dexter out on his first outing. Well, let me tell you . . . he absolutely freaked. Hahahaha

I put on his leash (which he is still not that fond of) and carried him outside. His head came up and started swiveling. We went down the porch stairs and I sat on the ground with him in my lap. He was fine there with his head up and eyeballs going. After a few minutes, I decided to put him on the ground. Holy moly! He went into panic mode. He froze, went flat, and black bearded. I shifted closer to him and he went into immediate intimidation mode. Puffy, spikes on display, black beard, mouth open. Egads! I talked to him and patted his chin and he calmed down a bit, but still wasn’t a happy boy. He never moved the whole time. I sat right next to him (talking and touching), but he never lost his black, never moved anything but his head and eyes. We stayed out for about 15 minutes before I felt bad and brought him back in the house to run around. The reproachful look over his shoulder I got just before he took off for the dining room was priceless. Hahahaha We’ll try again later and see how he does.

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
Hey all, sorry I haven’t been on. Today the sun is shining, it’s 78 F, and I decided to take Dexter out on his first outing. Well, let me tell you . . . he absolutely freaked. Hahahaha

I put on his leash (which he is still not that fond of) and carried him outside. His head came up and started swiveling. We went down the porch stairs and I sat on the ground with him in my lap. He was fine there with his head up and eyeballs going. After a few minutes, I decided to put him on the ground. Holy moly! He went into panic mode. He froze, went flat, and black bearded. I shifted closer to him and he went into immediate intimidation mode. Puffy, spikes on display, black beard, mouth open. Egads! I talked to him and patted his chin and he calmed down a bit, but still wasn’t a happy boy. He never moved the whole time. I sat right next to him (talking and touching), but he never lost his black, never moved anything but his head and eyes. We stayed out for about 15 minutes before I felt bad and brought him back in the house to run around. The reproachful look over his shoulder I got just before he took off for the dining room was priceless. Hahahaha We’ll try again later and see how he does.
One time I toke out smaug without a leash and boy was that a mistake i toke him to the park and let him sit and eat on his favorite food which is clover. All the sudden he look up and crouches and then he darts into a bush

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon

Yes it took Zontar staying on mommy outside. He refused to be on grass. Black bearded me and whipping his tail at the air

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club

Awee poor dex, acts all tough in the house crunchin down bugs and running the place, thats kinda funny he got scared of you, if you have long hair next time maybe tie it back ? Ive noticed steffern gets startled when i move my head when we’re outside, he’ll soon love outside time :) my beardie ran into our planter boxes for about a month when i first started taking her out, she now Demands outside time every day.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
One time I toke out smaug without a leash and boy was that a mistake i toke him to the park and let him sit and eat on his favorite food which is clover. All the sudden he look up and crouches and then he darts into a bush
So glad you got Smaug back! Yikes.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes it took Zontar staying on mommy outside. He refused to be on grass. Black bearded me and whipping his tail at the air
Yeah, Dex was not happy on the ground that first day. We did go out the next day and he was completely different. Walked around licking things. Explored the stone wall. He wasn't too happy with me hovering and kept stopping to tilt his head and look at me as if to say, "Why are you following me. You don't follow me in the house. Go away. You're making me nervous." hahahaha
We stayed out for about a half-hour. My kids were cracking up that he was on a leash.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awee poor dex, acts all tough in the house crunchin down bugs and running the place, thats kinda funny he got scared of you, if you have long hair next time maybe tie it back ? Ive noticed steffern gets startled when i move my head when we’re outside, he’ll soon love outside time :) my beardie ran into our planter boxes for about a month when i first started taking her out, she now Demands outside time every day.
I do have long hair, but wear it back mostly. Hate it in my face. lol I think he was just over-whlemed and me moving closer to him startled him. It was something new and strange and he didn't know what to do. The next day he was completely different. Walked around and explored . . . licked everything. lol He's a weird one for sure. :)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I do have long hair, but wear it back mostly. Hate it in my face. lol I think he was just over-whlemed and me moving closer to him startled him. It was something new and strange and he didn't know what to do. The next day he was completely different. Walked around and explored . . . licked everything. lol He's a weird one for sure. :)
Thats so funny, “why u watching me mom” im glad he had a better second day :) dex is a good lizard.