• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this Spring Fever??

hilabeanz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So my 3 year old boy, Nigel, is displaying behavior that may be perfectly normal but is a first for me to observe. He’s my first and only beardie.

New Behavior:
His appetite has fallen off a cliff and he’s not even interested in his most favorite of treats - horn worms. He hasn’t eaten, or eaten very little, in approximately 4 days. He’s been extremely active, surfing all over his enclosure and running to and from one side of the room to the other when we get him out. I like to take him outside for 15 minutes or so of fresh air and sunshine. Today during his sunning session, after about 10 minutes he flared up, black bearded like I’ve never seen, opened his mouth and stood rigid up on his toes like he was about to take a flying leap at me. He locked eyes right on me! I’ve never seen him do this before, he’s never been anything less than a doll. I had to get a box and lid over him and usher him back into his enclosure. He didn’t try to bite but he was sure threatening. What the heck?? Is this a testosterone thing? Spring fever??

Here are is enclosure deets:

* 3x2 custom beardie enclosure from South Texas Dragons that he’s lived in his whole life. We ordered a 4x2 Bearded Dragon enclosure from Custom Reptile Habitats to upgrade him to and are just waiting for it to ship out (2 weeks overdue).

* Hot spot basking area of 97°-105° taken with infrared temp gun, cool side 78°-82°.

*Arcadia D3 12% 18” UVB tube, changed every 6 months like clockwork; Zoo Med 75 watt basking spot lamp. Both fixtures inside enclosure with overlapping rays.

*Tile floors

*Daily salads combining some of these: collards, kale, arugula, cilantro (occasionally), butternut squash, red bell pepper; Every other day gets calcium or vitamin dusted dubia roaches, super worms, or horn worms. He is not a big salad lover and generally only picks at these. Lives for worms.

I’d love to share pics but no idea how to upload.

hilabeanz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok, hopefully this works...

pn2CT8Ezj

pl97ai8Ej

pl6yLeQ7j

hilabeanz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
His new enclosure comes with the reflector. I had read that it was beneficial so ordered it with his set. I should have had the new set-up weeks ago, but the COVID situation has delayed things a little bit. So on it's way!

It's not out of the realm of possibility that a bird spooked him, but his feisty-ness really did seem directed at me. He was looking right at me and puffed up and looked ready to strike. As soon as I got him back into his enclosure he calmed down and seems back to normal. Just really freaked me out in the moment.

Aside from his outdoor behavior, do you think the appetite loss and manic pacing is a spring fever thing?