• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a Dandelion ????

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

Is this a dandelion?

SNC00502.jpg

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
looks a bit like one is there a hollow stem with a yelow flower in the middle of the leaf clump

paul

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can you give us a full picture ? Also, when you break the stem, do you see white or clear fluids ?
Janie

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
the prob with the clear or white thing is that there are alot of weeds that produce the white stuff

paul

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't think that's a dandelion. The stems look a little too woody and are branching.....and the leaves have hairs or stickers on them that I don't normally see on dandelions over here.

I'll have to jump on board with the others....a pick of the entire plant (flower and all) would be very beneficial.

Here's a couple pics of dandelions over here.

dandelions.jpg

The leaves as I know them.

DANDELION-LEAVES700X435.jpg

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
That's actually a Catsear, or false dandilion.

Yeah! That's what it is!

Google image search results for Catsear false dandelion

Spotted_catsear--Hypochaeris_radicata--m.s.jpg

193.jpg

catsear4-25b.jpg

catsear11-19.jpg

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have the second , I think, growing in my yard.
I feel I want the real ones though... Time to order more seeds perhaps ?
Janie.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Janie.

You want more dandelions in your yard? They're very invasive, here, in the St. Louis area.

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
zebraflavencs said:
Janie.

You want more dandelions in your yard? They're very invasive, here, in the St. Louis area.

UGH! Dandelions! I can pack you up some from yard and ship them out. I can't stand them, and yes EXTEMELY invasive.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well yes, but not in my yard.. at least not how you folks may be thinking.. I was thinking, in pots, inside my greenhouse.. to use as part of the salad mix for variation.
Janie

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Well yes, but not in my yard.. at least not how you folks may be thinking.. I was thinking, in pots, inside my greenhouse.. to use as part of the salad mix for variation.
Janie

Now THAT I understand. :eek:)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK, will take pics of entire plant. But I'm thinking false dandelion too as the leaves look "hairy" and the flower is not as full as the real one (According to your pics)

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
OK, will take pics of entire plant. But I'm thinking false dandelion too as the leaves look "hairy" and the flower is not as full as the real one (According to your pics)

Did you the pics I posted in a later reply?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just remember....don't feed anything from outside unless you are absolutely sure there is no pesticide on them. If your neighbor sprays it could be on your yard also.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
li said:
Just remember....don't feed anything from outside unless you are absolutely sure there is no pesticide on them. If your neighbor sprays it could be on your yard also.

ESPECIALLY if there's a cornfield by your house....like mine.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yea, I'm gonna have to look out for bugs when I take my girls outside, I live ON a dairy farm, and yes we spray our corn.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Did you the pics I posted in a later reply?

Yeah, Definately false Dandelion . . . stems arent that hollow, if I had to choose clear fluids, although it is a microscopic amount. They are everywhere.... LOL.

Are they poisonous for BD's???

SNC00505.jpg

Fortunately I stay on a plot, closest neighbour is approx 200M away (only 1 that close) The rest are about 1/2 Km away.

SamTX

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I searched and read on this a couple days ago too! (great minds think alike!)

I don't think it's Dandelion, too hairy.
"The identifying points of dandelion are: pointed leaves, only one flower per stem, hollow stems and no hairs on the plant."
http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information/dandelion.html

"Catsear and hawkbit have hairy leaves, whereas dandelion and hawksbeard have leaves with almost no hairs. Catsear and hawksbeard have branched flowers stems whereas hawkbit and dandelion flower stems are unbranched. The flower stem of dandelion is fleshy and hollow whereas that of hawkbit tends to be thinner, more wiry and not as hollow.
http://weeds.massey.ac.nz/weeds.asp?pid=54

hope it helps!
you can tell the difference once you have them side-by-side; which i have somein my backyard.