• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is There Such Thing As Too Much Water via Syringe?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I've been feeding my dragon water now through a syringe ever since he has been making weird noises and he aspirated after a bath. He still makes the weird noises when he drinks and eats, it sounds like a pop. Is he maybe over weight? He did get superworms everyday when i first got him and only recently started cutting back. He eats salad everyday.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've been feeding my dragon water now through a syringe ever since he has been making weird noises and he aspirated after a bath. He still makes the weird noises when he drinks and eats, it sounds like a pop. Is he maybe over weight? He did get superworms everyday when i first got him and only recently started cutting back. He eats salad everyday.
Popping can be a sign of RI -- what is the humidity in the tank ? How much water are you feeding and how often --- please start rinsing his salads before serving --- w/ the salads moist and gut loaded insects you should not haft to syringe feed the dragon water -- what staple insect are you feeding ?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Too much water is possible. If he gets enough veggies and the occasional bath and high-moisture insect, syringe feeding him water regularly isn't necessary.

Does his jaw look healthy? Is it the correct color inside and are his upper and lower jaws aligned/correctly shaped?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Popping can be a sign of RI -- what is the humidity in the tank ? How much water are you feeding and how often --- please start rinsing his salads before serving --- w/ the salads moist and gut loaded insects you should not haft to syringe feed the dragon water -- what staple insect are you feeding ?
I stated a lot of what you just asked in the post already above, but superworms and Dubai roaches every so often. I make his salads with collard greens, blueberries, shredded carrots, and red bell pepper. He only eats the blueberries out of his salad and he gets 4 worms 3 days a week.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
He was getting 10 a day when I got him, I’ve had him a few months. He is 5. That is why I’m thinking he may be overweight

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Humidity: Unknown, not very high I never mist or keep water. I’d say it’s perfect to be honest as he’s had no other problems than this current one. (This happened ever since I brought him home).

I don’t know exactly how much water but I just fill the syringe with lukewarm water and drop some droplets in his mouth until he stops drinking them

staple is superworms and very rarely dubia roaches. Tried to feed crickets but he couldn’t catch them and they scare me a lot lol.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Humidity: Unknown, not very high I never mist or keep water. I’d say it’s perfect to be honest as he’s had no other problems than this current one. (This happened ever since I brought him home).

I don’t know exactly how much water but I just fill the syringe with lukewarm water and drop some droplets in his mouth until he stops drinking them
Ok well as long as hes drinking it and your stopping when he stops he shouldnt be over hydrated -- I would get a hygrometer in the tank - place it in the middle of the back wall --- you can use a probe digital one -
Other symptoms of a RI are discharge out of the mouth or nose -- heavy breathing salivating alot -- if hes in distress his beard will be black - please get a hygrometer so you know what the humidity is in the tank -- you dont want the humidity too low -- that is what causes RI believe it or not ---down below 20% is not good and nothing over 70% --

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ok well as long as hes drinking it and your stopping when he stops he shouldnt be over hydrated -- I would get a hygrometer in the tank - place it in the middle of the back wall --- you can use a probe digital one -
Other symptoms of a RI are discharge out of the mouth or nose -- heavy breathing salivating alot -- if hes in distress his beard will be black - please get a hygrometer so you know what the humidity is in the tank -- you dont want the humidity too low -- that is what causes RI believe it or not ---down below 20% is not good and nothing over 70% --
Is that the little black thing that look like a spedometer?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I want to add, he’s sometimes just a little dark colored overall when he’s chillin away from the UVB in his hide (this isn’t all the time he basks normally) then when I take him out he turns all bright and his beard gets all bright orange and he just runs around and goes crazy haha — gonna redo his tank I think he gets bored. I just finished my chameleons