• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there such a thing as too much?

Terra66

Hatchling Dragon
I'm not complaining!! Darwin eats an inordinate amount of anything I put into his enclosure! My beardie, Henry, from years ago was a pretty picky boy so this is amazingly fun but a little alarming!
Yesterday's menu...in the order that they were eaten...
9 crickets, 3 dubias, 1 small super worm, 3 more crickets, 2 small horn worms, 2 more dubias, 4 Phoenix worms, 4 more crickets.
On top of all of that he had collards and kale.
We brought him home in the late morning he ate all of this and was still eyeballing me and his prep dish (I have a little dish that I put his food in to give it a sprinkle of calcium. He has learned quickly that the dish means he's getting fed) before the lights went out.
Is this normal? Does he need to join over eaters anonymous? Do I need to hold back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not complaining!! Darwin eats an inordinate amount of anything I put into his enclosure! My beardie, Henry, from years ago was a pretty picky boy so this is amazingly fun but a little alarming!
Yesterday's menu...in the order that they were eaten...
9 crickets, 3 dubias, 1 small super worm, 3 more crickets, 2 small horn worms, 2 more dubias, 4 Phoenix worms, 4 more crickets.
On top of all of that he had collards and kale.
We brought him home in the late morning he ate all of this and was still eyeballing me and his prep dish (I have a little dish that I put his food in to give it a sprinkle of calcium. He has learned quickly that the dish means he's getting fed) before the lights went out.
Is this normal? Does he need to join over eaters anonymous? Do I need to hold back?

Babies eat alot and should be fed 3 times a day what they will eat in 10-15 min just make sure that his last feeding is 2 hours prior to lights out. But yes they are eating machines when little lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Glad you are feeding such a variety! It is normal for the little ones to eat EVERYTHING! When mine were babies, we just did crickets 3x a day and we would go through about 75! I was so happy when they got older!

Terra66

Hatchling Dragon
Glad you are feeding such a variety! It is normal for the little ones to eat EVERYTHING! When mine were babies, we just did crickets 3x a day and we would go through about 75! I was so happy when they got older!
I got up early for work this morning, Darwin was already up, chasing one lone cricket that must have been hiding from yesterday. [emoji38]
So since he was up, he had another 15 or so crickets, and 5 dubias. My kids will give him some Phoenix worms in the afternoon, and I'll feed him if he's hungry when I get home tonight. [emoji4] I love watching him eat. [emoji177][emoji177]

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got up early for work this morning, Darwin was already up, chasing one lone cricket that must have been hiding from yesterday. [emoji38]
So since he was up, he had another 15 or so crickets, and 5 dubias. My kids will give him some Phoenix worms in the afternoon, and I'll feed him if he's hungry when I get home tonight. [emoji4] I love watching him eat. [emoji177][emoji177]

They are pretty cool to watch for sure. Words of advice make sure you get any crickets out at night as they can chew on them as they sleep causing wounds.

Terra66

Hatchling Dragon
They are pretty cool to watch for sure. Words of advice make sure you get any crickets out at night as they can chew on them as they sleep causing wounds.
Good advice!
This is the reason his home is getting an upgrade today. I'm removing the green reptile carpet and putting down tile. Those little cricket creeps hide under the carpet!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good advice!
This is the reason his home is getting an upgrade today. I'm removing the green reptile carpet and putting down tile. Those little cricket creeps hide under the carpet!

Yes those crickets will do that for sure!! tile is great and great for clean ups..