• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is No substrate an option?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
With all the debate on substrates, is it OK to use no substrate and just leave the glass bottom exposed?
I would not you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut it to the size of the tank clean w/ vinegar /water 50/50 -- insects cant get underneath you can find it at your local home improvement store
the glass is going to have him slipping and sliding all over the tank -- you might want to put a piece of ceramic slate tile in for him to walk on it will keep his nails down

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Someone correct me if there is controversy (which I haven’t come across) but as far as I’m aware it’s ok to use newspaper too (if you’re unable to get hold of a more preferred substrate). Lay flat rather than tearing or shredding.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Newspaper is fine as long as it's not glossy, the only problem is that it needs to be changed out whenever there's poop (I think? Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Newspaper is fine as long as it's not glossy, the only problem is that it needs to be changed out whenever there's poop (I think? Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Newspaper is fine along w/ paper towels- haven't heard anything about changing out right away but it probably wouldn't hurt

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, it would need to be changed each poop/wee, but if you put plenty of layers down you can just tear the area or lift a sheet or two :)

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
I would not you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut it to the size of the tank clean w/ vinegar /water 50/50 -- insects cant get underneath you can find it at your local home improvement store
the glass is going to have him slipping and sliding all over the tank -- you might want to put a piece of ceramic slate tile in for him to walk on it will keep his nails down
I agree with the tile or just throw some paper towel down