1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragon Enclosures' started by Kayleigh, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Kayleigh

Kayleigh Bearded Dragon Egg

Hi everyone. I'm a new BD owner, we have had him a week now and love him to bits. He is approx 2 years old and came with the vivarium. It measures 4ft by 2ft.....is that big enough?
  2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Juvenile Dragon

It sounds like you have a 4x2x2-- that is great --- he is in a tank just the right size for him --- if you need any help please ask --- lighting and temps in the tank are key to keeping a healthy bearded dragon - let me know if you need any help w/ this or have questions --- I have a 4x2x2 tank as well and Hiccup loves it
    kaylyn
  3. Kayleigh

Aw that's great thanks! Iv got a digital thermometer at each end, hot end 102f and the cool is around 79f....is that alright for him?
  4. kaylynangel

Yes --- the digital did you take the temp where he sits for basking? And your UVB what brand and bulb do you have for him - is it in the tank or on top of screen? You said you got him from where?
    kaylyn
  5. Kayleigh

I got him from a private seller. He advertised saying he didn't have time to take care of him anymore. My boyfriend collected him and I was shocked when he got home. Viv smelt totally disgusting, not one bulb was even working and he looked malnourished and has got a slightly bent toe :( I took him straight to vets, thankfully no sign of bone disease, and hes had a poo sample done confirming he has worms so got medicine to help that bless him. Eating great, hasnt turned his nose up at anything yet.
    Yeah hot temp was basking area.
    The UVB is inside the tank attached to ceiling at the back. I'm a bit concerned about that aswell and was gona post about it because there is a shelf under the UVB which looks a little too close and I know he could def touch that bulb. Think i will have to remove that shelf and put something else there for him to climb and lounge on maybe?
    Kayleigh.
  6. Kayleigh

I bought the exo terra full lighting kit. 10% uvb from the tube.

Attached Files:

7. kaylynangel

Please take it back ---- the UVB you need in your tank is a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- it is a good strong bulb and it needs to be inside the tank approx 10-12 inches from his basking spot --- next GET RID OF THE NIGHTLITE ----- beardies need darkness to sleep like you and I and it disturbs their sleep not to mention it hurts their eyes ------------- the daylight bulb is that for basking or just a reg bulb for light in the tank --- the thermometer is a probe? If it is that is good and you want one of those --- the T 5 is a TUBE and is one of the most recommended ---- or the T 8 but I suggest the T 5 because of the size of your tank -- visit this website for the UVB www.pangeareptiles.com ---- make sure you get a fixture that is not the length of your tank -- I have a Zoo Med fixture 24" and the Arcadia 14% bulb in my tank and it sits 13" from his basking spot --- here is a pic of my tank --- if you have any more questions please ask
    kaylyn
    [​IMG]
  8. kaylynangel

When replacing the UVB make sure you do not put the cover back on the bulb -- you want full exposure of the rays ----- UVB plays a huge roll in keeping your dragon healthy -- I am sorry he came from such horrible living conditions --- to be honest I am surprised he does not have MBD --- please ask if you have more questions here is a website for nutrition for him
    http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
    I recommend no more crickets but dubia roaches --- they can be ordered on line and if you want more info about them ask -- thanks

kaylyn
  9. Kayleigh

Ok thanks again! He doesnt have a night light I always turn all lights off at night. The man said the uvb bulb had blown not long ago and there wasnt a bulb in the basking lamp so not sure what his excuse was for that but either way is awful!
    The daylight bulb is just regular light in tanks and yeah thermometers are probes.
    Thanks for all your help and your tank is lovely.
    Kayleigh.