• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my tank going to be too small for a young beardie?

Moogs

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey there, I've been thinking about getting a Beardie for the last few months and have done a fair amount of research and made a little bit of investment into the idea already. I have an old aquarium from pets in the past (a turtle at one point and a small iguana at another) and said aquarium happened to be EXACTLY the perfect size to fit comfortably in my room.
The tanks' dimensions are:
Height: 42cm (16.5 inches)
Length: 76cm (30 inches)
Width: 32cm (12.5 inches)

My intention is to get my Beardie as a baby and my primary fear is that my lights, if resting on a tank cover may be too far for him to properly absorb the nutrients he needs from the light. I figured I'd rectify this by including a reptile hammock close to the tank cover, as well as a rather concentrated basking light considering I live in a colder environment (I live in the Laurentians in Quebec).
Is this tank going to be okay? I can take a picture if needed.

Moogs

Bearded Dragon Egg
T
To start out w/ as a baby fine for a few months - thats it - by the time 6 months is hitting no - you need a 75-120 gallon tank for a full size dragon - thats approx a year or so old - they grow fast and will quickly out grow a 25 gallon in no time --- you need to look for a bigger enclosure to start w/ a 40 minimum - 50 gallon then look at upgrading later - I would suggest since your starting early you need to start investing the lighting mainly the UVB fixture that is the next most expensive thing you need and is essential - NO COILS - they are killers --- best on the market at this time is the Reptisun 10.0 TUBE either the T 5 or the T 8 and depending on the size of the enclosure will determine the T 5 or T 8 as they have certain distances they need to be on the tank -- next is the basking bulb - a bright white bulb that will keep temps 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a juvie / adult --- NO SAND substrate causes impaction and harbors bacteria --- 2 digital probe thermometers one for each side of the tank - stick ons are inaccurate and you need actual basking surface temps- I also recommend a infrared heat gun - you will use all of them -- decor for the tank a hide is essential - think big - the dragon will outgrow anything small -- I can give you lots more info on getting set up and save yourself money - tanks can be found used on FB marketplace and craigslist just make sure if you find one its sanitized before use and get one w/ front doors -- believe me they are the most convenient -- please ask more questions if you need help or want info
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the time that you took to type that up.
Im attaching a picture of my tank, and the space I have to hold my lizard. Do you think that this can be enough space? Im able to remove the bottom section of the bookshelf, but optimally the tank wouldnt be larger than the surface area of that dresser. Is that feasible?
Also, I spent quite a bit of time looking at the optimal products on Amazon before realizing I was viewing the American website. I need stuff I wont have to pay extreme shipping/import fees on. I will be checking pet stores in the city over the weekend to see their prices, but I will do some research on CANADIAN Amazon and if you don't mind reviewing my choices that would be incredibly helpful.

Attachments

• 82248489_168480941070768_3747590035000524800_n.jpg
    82248489_168480941070768_3747590035000524800_n.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 47

Moogs

Bearded Dragon Egg
Only for a small baby -- optimally the dragon needs a 4x2x2 tank or 120 gallon tank and you want floor space not height-- yes check your Canadian Amazon and make sure you check out what live feeders you can get --- I know dubia roaches are not allowed in Canada and they are one of the best staple feeders you can get along w/ BSFL also know as calci worms --phoenix worms --- silk worms are a good feeder as well but they are expensive and hard to find even here in the states - please let me know what your looking at for lighting --- NO colored bulbs and you can get a textured NON adhesive shelf liner for the tank floor - you can get it at your local home improvement store - fairly cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in spray bottle - insects cannot get underneath it --- NO canned food or package food - you want fresh greens for your baby here is a website for nutrition you can print it off
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I am glad your scoping all this out now most people jump right in thinking its gonna be a cheap pet for their kids / kid and it turns out the dragon ends up sick and dead or almost dead from improper lighting etc...................... where are you planning to get your dragon from? Do not listen to people from box chain stores -- even sometimes dragon breeders arent very good either and sell bad stuff to people that have no idea ----- I dont want to you spend money on stuff you dont need -- that is why I am telling you this now --
Well, I grew up having a fair amount of experimental pets at my house. We had an Iguana for a while, so I was aware of the fact they needed special lighting an all. Im aware floor space is more the concern over height with this lizard hence my original concerns over the light being too far from him with this tank.

I don't have the time to plan out my Amazon order list just yet, but I was looking at one of the long (18 Inch) fluorescent bulbs for UVB, UVA and observable light, and then having an infrared spot lamp for heating and his basking spot. I want these hooked up to a power bar that has a timer or specific plugs to keep the fluorescent bulb on only during the day, the infrared light would be on 24 hours to keep the heating going for him.
My family keeps a garden both indoor and outdoor at home and we NEVER buy canned vegetables. Ive already began PERSONALLY eating more salad in preparation for potentially wanting to buy more greens to share with my lizard. When I visited the pet store and purchased the substrate you see in the picture I noticed dry protein pellets for sale, I figured I would stock up on that in case at any time Im unable to get him live food. That being said, I do also plan to find a way to accommodate having a supply of live food at my house. I live in the mountains, so our water is about as pure as possible. Straight from the spring.
As for where I'm planning to get the dragon itself from, I'm not sure yet. I likely wont be getting it until March or April and at that time I intend to have what I need all ready. At that time, I'll check Kijiji, as well as call some pet stores up. Once I have my dragon I intend to frequent this forum to ensure proper care. Again, I really appreciate this talk. Thanks.

John Collins

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie is in a 55 gallon tank. He rarely leaves the end of the tank where his basking bulb is located. What is the purpose of having such a large enclosure?

John Collins

Bearded Dragon Egg
He never glass surfs. He is taken out of his cage at least 5 times a week. He eagerly awaits this time to be held and to walk around. He then likes to hang out in his hammock or climb his driftwood.

Moogs

Bearded Dragon Egg
S
That's great your getting him out--- that is why he's not glass surfing- I get mine out everyday for 2 hrs to roam and look out the LR window
So, what you're saying is I can have a small tank (still gonna go bigger than what I have) as long as I take him out a lot and have proper lighting and a temperature?

DinoDavis

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie is in a 55 gallon tank. He rarely leaves the end of the tank where his basking bulb is located. What is the purpose of having such a large enclosure?
Lol ur right. My fat pancake is hanging on his hammock most of the day. But surely comes down as soon as I walk in he jumps down to eat. Thats what he aquaints me with.... Im his personal chef. Lol