• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my bearded dragon healthy?

TristanRC

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and registered mainly because I'm a little worried about my bearded dragon, Ozzy. Lately (basically the last few months) he's been very lazy / tired. Not really moving much, doesn't respond to food much (both vegetables and live food). The reason I haven't sought help before is I thought he was just brumating excessively. For the last two - three weeks I've been trying different food to see if that helps.

He has never really liked vegetables much and mainly went for crickets and worms. Cockroaches used to be a great way to have him eat enough but he doesn't respond to those much anymore either. I've added a video of him, maybe some of you can give me any tips. I want to give him the best care possible so if he's unhealthy I really want to know so I can try and help him.

Thanks in advance! If you need more info, images or whatever, let me know.

PS: Yes, I know I should've put the scissors away. I did right after I put away my camera :)

Video:

millie turiccki

Bearded Dragon Egg
i’m not one of the experts on here and i don’t know if my advice will be any good to you but i’ve recently been having the same problem with my beardie and still are. my beardie has completely lost interested in veggies but still has an appetite for live food. he also spends all day hiding at the cool end and is just never basking anymore. here are some questions that i’ve been asked to try to resolve the problem. how long have you had him? how old is ozzy? is he still basking or is he spending time at the cool end? could it be anything to do with his basking bulb or uvb? has there been any temperature changed in the weather where you are? what is his behaviour like outside of his enclosure, does he get the chance to exercise daily? how consistent are his bowl movements? do you bath him? could he be starting to shed? again i’d like to point out i’m not an expert, i noticed no one had replied yet and wanted to share my experience. hope i can help you.

TristanRC

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you, millie. I have found out that my tank is actually too cold and I'm going to fix that tomorrow to help resolve the issues I've been having with Ozzy. He's about 2 years old approximately and I've had him for about 18 months. Weather, bowl movements and all that shouldn't be the problem, nothing has changed in that. Yes it has gotten warmer but there's little to no change in tank temperature.

I am guilty of not spending enough time with him, that's for sure. I'm going to change that drastically and if I can't keep that up I will look for someone who is able to care for him better and has more time on their hands. I don't want to do that, but if I can't help him and care for him the way he needs to be cared for that'll be the only option I could live with. I don't want unhealthy animals. I'm a big animal lover (got 2 cats, a load of fish and more) so definitely want the best for my pets.

millie turiccki

Bearded Dragon Egg
ohh okay i’m glad you found the problem. just out of interest what temperature was the tank? would you mind checking out my thread, and see if you can help me with my beardie? if not then that’s not a problem i’m just at my wits end really. anyway i’m happy you can fix the problem for your little guy.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, just from looking at the video it looks like he may be suffering from MBD. I would suggest making sure he's getting enough UVB and calcium.

TristanRC

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, just from looking at the video it looks like he may be suffering from MBD. I would suggest making sure he's getting enough UVB and calcium.
Thank you very much, I didn't know about this condition. I have been adding more calcium powder to his food but since he isn't eating much he isn't taking in much calcium either... I have just replaced his basking spot and also his UVB light. I hope he'll start eating more now that his tank is heating up, thus taking in more calcium. Thanks!!

EDIT: the tank was between 25 and 32 degrees celcius.. Already said sorry to the little guy a million times :(