• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my bearded dragon fat or is he being body shamed?

PicoandCarly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got my baby bearded dragon, Pico, about a month ago. He is a little more than 7" long now and weighs around 33 grams, not sure on age maybe a couple months? My family has said he is getting very plump, but I thought he looked normal. I feed him a salad (collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, a little sweet potato or carrot sometimes, etc.) in the morning, then Dubia Roaches or crickets as a second meal, then more Dubia Roaches, crickets, or large phoenix worms for dinner. I thought I was supposed to be letting him eat as much as he wants for ten minutes around three times a day, but he does have a large appetite (he even tries to eat my fingers which we're working on).

He gets exercise running around my room most days, so should I adjust his diet or is this a normal weight?? I'm getting multiple different sites telling me a bunch of different things.

I am going to attach one picture from a month ago (on the chair) and two now of the little prince.

Thank you for any replies, suggestions, or opinions!! :)

Attachments

• IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2417.JPG
    IMG_2417.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 19

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just got my baby bearded dragon, Pico, about a month ago. He is a little more than 7" long now and weighs around 33 grams, not sure on age maybe a couple months? My family has said he is getting very plump, but I thought he looked normal. I feed him a salad (collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, a little sweet potato or carrot sometimes, etc.) in the morning, then Dubia Roaches or crickets as a second meal, then more Dubia Roaches, crickets, or large phoenix worms for dinner. I thought I was supposed to be letting him eat as much as he wants for ten minutes around three times a day, but he does have a large appetite (he even tries to eat my fingers which we're working on).

He gets exercise running around my room most days, so should I adjust his diet or is this a normal weight?? I'm getting multiple different sites telling me a bunch of different things.

I am going to attach one picture from a month ago (on the chair) and two now of the little prince.

Thank you for any replies, suggestions, or opinions!! :)
Your baby looks good --- your feeding him the right amount of food -- is he eating his salads? Its good that he is if he is - you want him eating those salads now -- you can rinse them before serving and he will get the hydration he needs - if you need help w/ getting him to eat them let me know I will give you some pointers on how to get him to eat them

PicoandCarly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your baby looks good --- your feeding him the right amount of food -- is he eating his salads? Its good that he is if he is - you want him eating those salads now -- you can rinse them before serving and he will get the hydration he needs - if you need help w/ getting him to eat them let me know I will give you some pointers on how to get him to eat them
Thank you! He only eats a couple pieces if I hand feed them to him, so any tips would be appreciated! I never thought to rinse them, I'll start doing that since he hates water for some reason

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! He only eats a couple pieces if I hand feed them to him, so any tips would be appreciated! I never thought to rinse them, I'll start doing that since he hates water for some reason
You can get some BSFL and some other worms to put on top of his / her salad -- the BSFL are small so order large they are a great staple feeder for babies --- do not dust them they are calcium enriched-- you can also order some small super worms add 1-3 on top of the salad -- you will need a glass or ceramic bowl so that they cannot get out -- feed first thing in the morning make sure you add the worms to the salad in front of him/her as the movement will entice him / her to the bowl - roaches are great for putting in the dish as well just feed after you have fed salad / worms first
websites
www.symtonbsf.com
www.aafeeder.com/feeder-worms/superworms/
www.mulberryfarms.com spendy on shipping
www.reptilianarts.com great silk worms super worms do not come in a cup or w/ food - dont order from here unless you have food and cups already - the silk worms
are great - they usually come small in bulk like 50 but they have been out and the bulk do not come w/ food
www.dubiaroaches.com great roaches and nice horn worms you need to order medium so they come small they also grow really fast so dont order a lot --
www.coastalsilkworms.com two places to get from west and east coast
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html