• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it a male or female?

SSFegeto

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can anyone tell by general traits if my beardie is a male or a female? I would like to prepare for either sex appropriately...

Attachments

• 20210507_192822.jpg
    20210507_192822.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can anyone tell by general traits if my beardie is a male or a female? I would like to prepare for either sex appropriately...
No your dragon is too young at this point to tell if its male or female --- more around 6 months old

ilikepickles:)

Bearded Dragon Egg
The problem here is the substrate. You shouldn't use sand, as your little beardie might digest it when eating crickets off the floor. Please remove that immediately and buy a carpet. No sand carpets either, the sand is easy to break off and eat. I would suggest the one I have here.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The problem here is the substrate. You shouldn't use sand, as your little beardie might digest it when eating crickets off the floor. Please remove that immediately and buy a carpet. No sand carpets either, the sand is easy to break off and eat. I would suggest the one I have here.
Sand can be an issue, but only when the owner isn’t giving proper nutrition, supplements/vitamins, as long as OP bowl feeds and is giving the dragon proper food it will present no problem, bearded dragons do come from sandy/rocky environments after all. but i do agree for a baby beardie its better to must play it safe and have em on tile, shelf liner, carpet.

Attachments

• 2391CDBA-0C4D-40D6-9D7C-82C9C6F27B3B.jpeg
    2391CDBA-0C4D-40D6-9D7C-82C9C6F27B3B.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 38

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Your not going to tell from the top yo have look under when it's a little bigger

This will give you what to look for

SSFegeto

Bearded Dragon Egg
I haven't noticed any issues with my substrate... it is a sand carpet but not loose soft sand, it's all pretty rocky. I was wanting gender advice... thanks anyway

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
you can actually sex Beardies fairly accurately earlier than 6 months old.

Shine a pen light through the back of their tail at the line of the vent in a darkend room. You should be able to see either a single darker lump in the centre if its a female or two 'horns' running in the direction of the tail tip if its a male (these are the hemipenes)

This method is none invasive and totally harmless to the dragon (just dont squeeze the Dragon too tight whilst holding it)