• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Irresponsible Owners Rant

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Many of you know Boris, my husbands beardie. We rehomed him with a family we knew because Boris was not happy with us once Magellan and Frank all lived in the same house (not enclosures). Boris was constantly stressed and his attitude took a turn for the bad no matter how much we worked with him. This family swore up and down they were ready for a dragon and I provided them with tons of sites and care sheets and the nutrition sheet to get him started. I went over to their house to even set up the tank properly and measure the temps and gave them a supply of food for him to get started. All for nothing other than the promise he would get a good forever home. Well I guess the saying is true, "Nothing lasts forever".

It's been quite some time (9 or more months I think) that I haven't had Boris and every time they see me they say everything is fine. Today I get a message on Facebook telling me more or less having a lizard is too much for them to handle and they don't have the time to deal with him and take care of him. I don't even want to know what the poor thing has gone through or what he looks like right now. I know for a fact that in the beginning he was happy in their home and much better off than he was with me since there were no other lizards in their home for him to feel dominated by. But I guess just like their children they lost interest too and now want to get rid of him like it's nothing. How can people be so damn irresponsible!? These people have 2 dogs which I'm sure they aren't as into as they were when they were puppies but they are still there. Dogs are more of a hassle than a lil beardie in my opinion so why is it excusable to dispose of this dragon and but wrong if it's done to a dog?! Why say that you are fine with having him and then change your mind? I have no room for Boris right now and money isn't necessarily bursting out of my wallet but I'm taking him back even if only temporarily until I can find him a home that will be better for him because I know staying with them won't do him any good. I know these people aren't in any money situation (far from it actually). These people need to grow the flip up. If I'm willing to bend over backwards to give this lizard a better life even if it doesn't fit well into my life right now why can't these people who can afford to give him what he wants? It's pure flippin laziness!

I will post pictures of him when I get him back next week. This is another reminder why I lose hope in humanity more and more every day.

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Sorry to hear this :( I hope that you can nurse Boris back to optimum health and find him a good home that can committ to him :) Good luck with your endeavours. Im sure Boris will appreciate it muchly.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks. I'm hoping they didn't let him get too bad but their irresponsibility is what kills me. I'm hoping that he's not in bad shape or else they will be when I'm done with them

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Aww I am sorry for poor Boris, he will be in good hands soon and will be a happy boy, isn't it funny how quickly some people loose interest in things.....to bad they did not think of Boris like there kids...a living creature is a living creature.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Agreed completely. Although I don't think Boris will be all that happy back here even if for a short time. He wasn't happy here in the first place because of my male reptile heavy house. Even though he couldn't see anyone he went crazy and was always stressed. I may have lined up 2 potential homes for him so fingers crossed

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah Candice this sucks.

I really hope hes in good shape when you get him, and I hope the 2 prospects youve got lined up are worthy.
Post some pics of him when hes home.

I'm hoping that he's not in bad shape or else they will be when I'm done with them

Need some help ? Im willing and able

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Monique. I think I should be able to manage. Both homes I may have lined up are people who are very experienced with reptiles and beardies

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
:mad: People like this make me so mad, I cant see straight!! Thank you for getting him out of there. Some people just dont get it.. This is an exotic pet. Its to be respected! It deserves just as much attention as any dog or any other animal. I have a few friends who told me before, " Aww man, I want one of these!" and then I say," no dude.. this is not the pet for you.. I know you.. Go get yourself a nice cat, or a banzai tree and call it a day." I have to explain to them that this is not some lizard I found outside in the damn woods! This is a lizard from the desert, that now lives inside my home. Just like a salt water aquarium, it takes research, responsibility, and commitment to own one. This is a dragon, I have had nothing but luck since this thing came into my life. all that is gold does not glitter..

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Candice, I am so sorry to hear this. Making the decision to rehome a family member is never easy. I'm sure you gave yourself peace of mind thinking he was going to a good home. Poor Boris!

Yep, I'm with all of you. If you take on the responsibility of owning a pet, then you should commit to providing that pet with the best life possible. Unbelievable.

I hope it works out with the two possibilities you mentioned. Fingers crossed.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well Boris has been rehomed and to a MUCH better home. This guy is OBSESSED with Boris and has him setup in the most used room in the house so he can be with him all the time. He has even set up a webcam that streams live to his computer at work so he can always watch him. He sent me and my husband tons of pictures of him and invited friends over to play with him and he sits there and hand feeds him every day. I have no doubts that this time will be his forever home.