• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Insulation for my beardy Viv.

Benrat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, does anyone know the best way to insulate my viv? It is a large glass fronted VivExotic style one, and just wondering if wrapping the top and side in some sort of insulation will help to reduce energy consumption of the enclosure? As it is controlled by a thermostat I have assumed it will, but just after some advice on the best material to do it with. Thank you in advance.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, does anyone know the best way to insulate my viv? It is a large glass fronted VivExotic style one, and just wondering if wrapping the top and side in some sort of insulation will help to reduce energy consumption of the enclosure? As it is controlled by a thermostat I have assumed it will, but just after some advice on the best material to do it with. Thank you in advance.
Are you doing it to keep the heat in? You can cover half the top w/ a piece of wood - but you must watch the temps- you dont want it getting too hot inside -

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
I have a couple Vision cages that I keep baby tortoises in. My house is pretty cold overnight, as I heat the house by burning wood in the wood stove and the fire dies down over night. In order to keep my enclosures warm enough foyr the babies I've had to cut rigid foam to fit the top, back and sides and tape it together. Works just fine!

The RHP inside the enclosure is plugged into a thermostat, so it doesn't get too hot inside.

Last edited:

Benrat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you doing it to keep the heat in? You can cover half the top w/ a piece of wood - but you must watch the temps- you dont want it getting too hot inside -
Hi there, thanks for replying. Yes, looking to keep the heat in more so I can reduce the amount of energy used. It has a thermostat in there so it won’t get too hot, but I also don’t want her getting cold.

Benrat

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a couple Vision cages that I keep baby tortoises in. My house is pretty cold overnight, as I heat the house by burning wood in the wood stove and the fire dies down over night. In order to keep my enclosures warm enough for the babies I've had to cut rigid foam to fit the top, back and sides and tape it together. Works just fine!back

The RHP inside the enclosure is plugged into a thermostat, so it doesn't get too hot inside.
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking something like that would do the trick. Handy to know someone has tried it and has worked. Thanks again.