• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Inflating

stumpy skye

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi folks, just wondering about my beardie stumpy we have just noticed himself inflating himself like a balloon, we have only had him for about 2 weeks and he is about15 months old ? Thanks Del and stumpy

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Hi folks, just wondering about my beardie stumpy we have just noticed himself inflating himself like a balloon, we have only had him for about 2 weeks and he is about15 months old ? Thanks Del and stumpy
Is this when he basking? I no Diego and Boris both strech themselves out wen basking so they have.more surface area to absorb heat. Also Diego does it in the bath with his belly and his beard so he floats hehe he loves the bath.

stumpy skye

Bearded Dragon Egg
He wasn't on his basking spot, I have seen him flattened right out but not like this, his beard was slso puffed up tho, he is back to normal now and just scoffed 8 crickets plus now into his veg lol

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
He wasn't on his basking spot, I have seen him flattened right out but not like this, his beard was slso puffed up tho, he is back to normal now and just scoffed 8 crickets plus now into his veg lol
Tbh i wudnt woory bout it unless he doi. It all the time. Beardie do wierd things at times ive seen Diego yawn(well wot looked like a yawn) ive seen Boris yave the hiccups so i wudnt worry they can do sone strange things with there little bodies. As long as ur temps r ok n he poopin reg n he is alert and happy i wudnt worry :)

stumpy skye

Bearded Dragon Egg
Will keep an eye on him, thanks for all the advice, oh is very alert and curious, his temps are good since new viv and equipment you could say spoilt but he's a cool little dude,cheers stumpy and Del

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When mine are shedding they will randomly puff themselves up as if they are stretching the skin.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wait until your holding your beardie and he pops out one eye...... That's a fun one.... First time I saw it nearly **** myself freaking out....... Later to find out its normal for them to puff out a eye once in awhile....... Lol

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Wait until your holding your beardie and he pops out one eye...... That's a fun one.... First time I saw it nearly **** myself freaking out....... Later to find out its normal for them to puff out a eye once in awhile....... Lol
OMG i did not know that. Il look out for that 1 hehe. Sounds minging :/

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh, yes..the eye pop! That is freaky. I haven't seen Luci do it yet but I would always catch Dexter doing it. Very gross but cool. I almost had a heart attack when I first saw it!

colin

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie inflates when stressed in the bath, I thought it was a floating mechanism to prevent from drowning...

Never seen it when out of water thought apart from when I lift her out of the water she will relax and deflate

colin

Hatchling Dragon
Ballooning - This happens in the bath. The beardie will swallow air and puff their body up to achieve buoyancy in the water. They may do this many times during a bath, inflating and deflating, as they please. This is also associated with what appears to be more rapid breathing when deflated. This is not an issue as long as no other signs of respiratory distress are present. Note: your dragon should never look as though it is gasping for air - since dragons always breathe through their nostrils, a sign of this would be open mouth breathing. If your dragon is breathing through it's mouth instead of it's nose, or if they are making gasping or choking sounds, you need to get them to a vet right away. Other signs of a respiratory infection are mucus (dried or liquid) coming from the nose, eyes, or mouth.

stumpy skye

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for that colin, nothing like that from stumpy he has only done it twice that we have seen and he is not of his food and temps are good and still as cheeky as ever, but will keep an eye on him cheers, Del