• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

In shock!! Literally!! Possible advice. (egg bound)

N4T4LIE

Bearded Dragon Egg
OK, so in October I posted a thread about my poorly girl that I rehomed and tried to rescue. Did a trip to vet and got critical care/medicines. Sadly she passed the day before Xmas eve. I really thought I could save her. 2 weeks before her passing, my then healthy male (also a rescue 18 months ago) started showing signs of different behaviour and illness. I was angry as thought the mistreatment/illness the girl dragon had suffered had been passed on somehow, even though they were housed differently. So my fat boy went to the vet on Thursday. Here's the shock....... Turns out my he is a she, and she was full of eggs she couldn't release. The 2nd shock is that's its going to cost £1000 to operate. Of course I've consented but the financial situation is not good. Is there anything I need to do differently once she's home, with being a girl or treat her the same as I always did. I'm worried I did something wrong for these eggs to be stuck. The vet said it's something that built up over a long period. She big, beautiful and a right character but no longer my fat boy/my bud/my sexy little dragon...... Can't offend with the names need a new name instead of Shane ‍♀️

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Very sorry for your loss of your girl :( Kuddos for rescuing. You are not alone many have been wrongly sexed..Care for males vs females are really the same. The after care for her is important. No loose substrate, she shouldn't be climbing while her incision is healing.. Keep the same I wouldn't change it (not that they know their name) They respond to your voice.. I hope that Shane has a speedy recovery

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Having problems laying eggs can happen with any dragon regardless of care. It's nothing that you did wrong. I would put her on papertowels until the incision heals. You can up her calcium rich foods. Even a treat of hard boiled egg white would be good.