• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm a sucker

steve booth

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! Well I guess I am now a bearded dragon owner and slightly overwhelmed..

My 5 year old daughter has been begging me for a dragon for like 6 months..after like 7 trips to prehistoric pets and 800 questions I finally gave in and purchased their "Starter" kit (first mistake) and a juvenille (I think?) based off pictures he looks to be about a year. He's a red tiger leather back, whatever that means.

So I bring the little guy home with my 250 dollar starter kit that included a useless red heating bulb and a 5.o 10 inch uvb reptisun, a giant basking log that sat about an inch from the top of my 40 gallon tank, a giant water dish, and rabbit pellets for the floor. I was told to feed him every other day...7-8 super worms one day, skip a day, then some lettuce. Got the tank all set up then started reading the forums...

after an hour on hear I say to myself SH*T! ditched the red bulb and got a 75w halogen that I think actually only put out 60w for heat in a 8.5 inch zoo med clamp light. Ditched the 5.0 for a t5 18 inch 10.0 uvb from reptisun. Ditched the rabit pellets and used shelf liner and cut some slate tile for the floor. Ditched the giant water dish for a smaller one. I also added a hammock for it near the basking light.

This little guy does not like me, and now I am freaking out about the 800 trips I am going to need to take to the reptile store to get food....please tell me I dont need to keep hoards of insects in the house and spend 100$ a week....HELP

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
There are some great places you can order feeder insects from and you'll get them in the mail. Dubia roaches are great if you're not in a state that disallows shipping them in (like here in Florida). I have to get those from a local reptile place, but they're quiet and very good for the dragon. The container they come in isn't huge. Phoenix worms are also great, and they come in a little container. I actually stick it in my dish cabinet. (The roaches go on top of my fridge). There are several other good kinds of feeders, too. I order from Rainbow Mealworms, and the bugs arrive clean and alive. I've been very happy with them.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
yes rainbow mealworms are a great place to get your feeder insects as well as mulberry farms. both have awesome quality insects.
also dont feed lettuce, it has no nutritional value. feed dark leafy greens and vegetables ,like collard greens and mustard greens with some shredded carrots or parsnips ,kale is good on occasion but not as a staple as it has oxalates in them which binds calcium so your beardie can utilize it.

Fumi

Hatchling Dragon
OMG why am I laughing! I know exactly what you are going through. I adopted my 10 month old beardie from my son and the learning curve was HUGE! Finally after 3 months I feel i have a handle on being a responsible owner of a bearded dragon. There is so much to learn and I keep making improvements all the time. It has been a pricey journey. But believe me you are going to absolutely LOVE your beardie. Iam totally obsessed with mine and even bought a webcam so I can watch him when I travel. I miss him terribly when I'm gone. I'm glad you have your little guy. Enjoy him. Good luck too.