• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Icecube?

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sucking on an icecube like I normally do when I'm thirsty, I came up with an awesome Idea. By beardie is a bit stubborn with water, I mist him and he never bothers drinking it. (He gets his water from his greens and veggies, I spray them as well) But, He always likes trying new things, and is a huge fan of licking. I thought If I put an (already wet icecube, to prevent his cute little tongue from sticking) icecube in his water bowl, he might start licking it and drinking the water off of it. But, I need to know if it's safe first, Because I'll just die if I lose my little precious spikey. D:

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great idea! As hot as it is in there, it will melt instantly and Spike will get hydrated too. There are no known issues with giving ice cubes to your beardie. As you pointed out, make sure it is already starting to melt so he doesn't get his tongue stuck to it!

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I personally wouldn't give ice cubes. Ice Cubes are cold. Beardies don't understand very cold. They do understand too hot, but not too cold. Ice Cubes are good for dogs because it cools them down on hot days. With beardies, they can move to a cooler part of the cage. If you give them ice cubes, your deciding to cool them off. Thats not a good thing.

There are other, better options to hydrate your dragon. A dripping system can work. Or what I do is get them accustomed to drinking from a dropper. Like the syringes used to give small children medicine. Just drip lukewarm water on their nose until they start lapping. Good luck!

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh, i don't think serving spike some melting ice cubes is a big deal. it's so hot in there, the ice cubes will melt quickly. it's not like you are pulling it straight out of the freezer and putting it in there.

i do have a question though - do you bathe spike regularly? a good 20 minute soak a couple of times a week will keep him hydrated. i say a couple of times a week because i seem to recall that spike is under 1 year. after a year, you can bathe them once a week.

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm only allowed to give him a bath in the cage, My mom is only worried that he'll escape, Because he is jumpy and Hyper, so she doesn't want him anywhere NEAR the bathroom. Sometimes I sneak a bowl of water into the cage and give him a quick bath, He likes that. But other times I spray him with a bottle to give him a shower.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Misting Spike with a spray bottle is a good additive. There is scrutiny regarding the quality of hydration misting occurs.

Try to give him a good 10 minute soak a couple of times a week. Since he's still small, you should be able to do this in his viv. You'll run into problems as he grows to his full growth.

Not only does bathing help with keeping bearded dragons hydrated, it helps their shedding process by keeping the skin loose and pliable. Bathing also helps relax the muscles so that he can go to the bathroom easily.