• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I think someone loves me.

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
Title says it. Thinking maybe Capn' Bitey. Obviously they're in love.

Before food, then after food. Could scratch and pick up after food.

I've been making a point to just have my hands in the enclosure, moving something, cleaning, etc., just to be present. If he lunges I'll put my hand down lower until he calms, then do whatever, and repeat.

Seems to be working, hope I didn't jinx it. Used to take a flying leap, then do what he's doing below as leaping diminished,.

I sometimes stick a dandelion leaf or food in the gaping maw. Hope that's not encouraging the behavior.
Screenshot_20230518_075931_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230518_075849_Photos.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Title says it. Thinking maybe Capn' Bitey. Obviously they're in love.

Before food, then after food. Could scratch and pick up after food.

I've been making a point to just have my hands in the enclosure, moving something, cleaning, etc., just to be present. If he lunges I'll put my hand down lower until he calms, then do whatever, and repeat.

Seems to be working, hope I didn't jinx it. Used to take a flying leap, then do what he's doing below as leaping diminished,.

I sometimes stick a dandelion leaf or food in the gaping maw. Hope that's not encouraging the behavior.
View attachment 33957View attachment 33958
So hand taming can be scary- have you tried feeding BSFL ? they are a great staple feeder and good for salad lures- and hand taming-

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, he hates bsfl. Also hates waxworms. He'll eat dubia, crickets, and meal worms (I don't do meal worms a lot, if I find a freshly shed one, I'll offer it as a treat if it's small, I have some for one of my crested that loves them).

Veggies he doesn't care for that much, so I usually hand feed those when he's bitey. I also use a pair of small plastic tweezers for hand feeding insects, allows me to get close

Not gonna lie as little as he is, I flinch everytime he snaps lol. It's just pure reflex.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, he hates bsfl. Also hates waxworms. He'll eat dubia, crickets, and meal worms (I don't do meal worms a lot, if I find a freshly shed one, I'll offer it as a treat if it's small, I have some for one of my crested that loves them).

Veggies he doesn't care for that much, so I usually hand feed those when he's bitey. I also use a pair of small plastic tweezers for hand feeding insects, allows me to get close

Not gonna lie as little as he is, I flinch everytime he snaps lol. It's just pure reflex.
Ok you can use super worms to hand tame him and as lures to the salad bowl - drop in front of him into the salad bowl -- I would use 3 of them every other day - meal worms are hard on babies stomachs - the exoskeleton is too harsh -- if your feeding freshly shedded ones that isnt bad

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
The meal worms I do use (rarely) are the tiny ones, almost white after shedding. He might get 3 a week, kind of 1 every other day. 99% of his insects are dubia. Would a superworm be too big for him? Been so long since I've seen one. Haven't had a bearded in over a decade, my last made it to 11 years old.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are they safe to feed as far as digestion and impaction? I always thought they were mealworms as well, swear I read that somewhere?
Super worms and meal worms are different - the exoskeleton on mealworms are harsher than the superworms- just don't feed a lot of them at one time - I only fed 1-3 every other day-