• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need some help

Breee7189

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi my name is GG and I just lost my first bearded dragon I had him for seven months I bought him back in September him he was always a little slow but he was my baby and I just loved him to death one day last week I bought crickets from Petsmart and he had not been eating crickets due to the fact that he just didn’t like them very much anymore he had switched over mostly the meal worms salad and the occasional baby food him he was impacted for a few days so I stayed away from the crickets and everything last week I went ahead and gave him three crickets which he ate two days later he passed away I went into Petsmart and got a newBaby bearded dragon and I don’t know if it was by faith are the universe putting me myself and two other families there the only thing all three of us families had in common was all three of us lost our bearded dragons that week and all three of us had Botton our crickets from Petsmart my baby was nine months old the other family lost two that were both four years old and the other gentleman lost one that was nine years old is it possible that crickets can get contaminated I have not been feeding my new baby crickets at all I’ve been giving him mealworms greens and fruits can someone please help me.... I posted a picture of Sammy at the bottom I’m telling you he got me through this whole Covid mess the last seven months it’s been such a hard transition into lose him was just devastated he’ll be cremated next week

Attachments

• 05466340-947B-45C7-8B5E-CAD09C543C30.jpeg
    05466340-947B-45C7-8B5E-CAD09C543C30.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi my name is GG and I just lost my first bearded dragon I had him for seven months I bought him back in September him he was always a little slow but he was my baby and I just loved him to death one day last week I bought crickets from Petsmart and he had not been eating crickets due to the fact that he just didn’t like them very much anymore he had switched over mostly the meal worms salad and the occasional baby food him he was impacted for a few days so I stayed away from the crickets and everything last week I went ahead and gave him three crickets which he ate two days later he passed away I went into Petsmart and got a newBaby bearded dragon and I don’t know if it was by faith are the universe putting me myself and two other families there the only thing all three of us families had in common was all three of us lost our bearded dragons that week and all three of us had Botton our crickets from Petsmart my baby was nine months old the other family lost two that were both four years old and the other gentleman lost one that was nine years old is it possible that crickets can get contaminated I have not been feeding my new baby crickets at all I’ve been giving him mealworms greens and fruits can someone please help me.... I posted a picture of Sammy at the bottom I’m telling you he got me through this whole Covid mess the last seven months it’s been such a hard transition into lose him was just devastated he’ll be cremated next week
Hi GG I am sorry to hear about your baby -- it is so hard to lose them I know --
Ok did you disinfect the tank before putting your new dragon in it? That is key dragons pass diseases and since you dont know exactly what your last dragon died from it should of been disinfected --- next the impaction was more than likely from the meal worms -- babies should not be fed meal worms at all -- the exoskeleton is too harsh on the stomachs and they cant digest them very well at all ---- next the basking temps in the tank are what? They should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---NO stickons they are inaccurate-- the UVB in the tank is a coil or a tube? NO coils they are inadequate --- what size tank is the dragon in?
As far as the crickets being a cause of the issue w/ the dragon dieing I am not sure -- all the other dragons passing could be just coincidental -- we would need a lot more info about husbandry and a ton of other info to connect it to the crickets-- but for now lets focus on your dragon and the lighting in the tank --- this is the MOST IMPORTANT thing in that tank --- basking temps and how your taking them and UVB ---- it controls the overall health and behavior of the dragon -- I am going to help you get your tank set up w / correct husbandry and feeding ---

Breee7189

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi GG I am sorry to hear about your baby -- it is so hard to lose them I know --
Ok did you disinfect the tank before putting your new dragon in it? That is key dragons pass diseases and since you dont know exactly what your last dragon died from it should of been disinfected --- next the impaction was more than likely from the meal worms -- babies should not be fed meal worms at all -- the exoskeleton is too harsh on the stomachs and they cant digest them very well at all ---- next the basking temps in the tank are what? They should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---NO stickons they are inaccurate-- the UVB in the tank is a coil or a tube? NO coils they are inadequate --- what size tank is the dragon in?
As far as the crickets being a cause of the issue w/ the dragon dieing I am not sure -- all the other dragons passing could be just coincidental -- we would need a lot more info about husbandry and a ton of other info to connect it to the crickets-- but for now lets focus on your dragon and the lighting in the tank --- this is the MOST IMPORTANT thing in that tank --- basking temps and how your taking them and UVB ---- it controls the overall health and behavior of the dragon -- I am going to help you get your tank set up w / correct husbandry and feeding ---
Hi Sadie ... I was scared about that also so I discarded tbe whole tank n bought a new set up lighting is good n Sammy didn’t eat meal worms till he was much older I’ve been giving the baby meal worms baby ones and greens and small fruits just once that have been grated into small pieces.. I will get it crickets I was just scared .. this new little guy is full of energy just very tiny which also worries me ... Sammy never had energy it’s almost like he was sick from tbe beginning when I brought him to the vet they said he was perfectly healthy I guess we needed each other Me being a first time bearded dragon owner wouldn’t have known the difference if I bought a sick or healthy one and someone else may not have purchased him I know he got a great great seven months that he was with me I just miss him so so much and I wanna make sure I keep this little guy very very healthy

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie ... I was scared about that also so I discarded tbe whole tank n bought a new set up lighting is good n Sammy didn’t eat meal worms till he was much older I’ve been giving the baby meal worms baby ones and greens and small fruits just once that have been grated into small pieces.. I will get it crickets I was just scared .. this new little guy is full of energy just very tiny which also worries me ... Sammy never had energy it’s almost like he was sick from tbe beginning when I brought him to the vet they said he was perfectly healthy I guess we needed each other Me being a first time bearded dragon owner wouldn’t have known the difference if I bought a sick or healthy one and someone else may not have purchased him I know he got a great great seven months that he was with me I just miss him so so much and I wanna make sure I keep this little guy very very healthy
Just make sure your lighting is up to par w/ what I posted -- that will keep him healthy -- its hard to tell when they are sick until sometimes its too late or they show early signs of being sick -- first sign can be NOT eating or basking like they should -- if you need help please ask -- I will help you --- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia Desert 12% bulb -- they have certain placement and distance requirements --- NO colored or off yellowish basking bulbs --- bright white solid basking bulbs