• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need help. I cant tell if he is entering brumation or is sick.

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Hi I have a bearded dragon named Earl who is about a year old or so and he recently stopped eating entirely and just laying under his hammock. He has eaten about 2 hornworms in the past week and a little bit of greens but now he only stays under his hammock not moving at all. He doesn't seem to be losing that much weight but i am getting a scale soo just to make sure he isn't losing to much weight. His eyes aren't cloudy or anything. The only problem is that when he is under his hammock he isn't sleeping he's just laying there not moving with his eyes open. Please help me if you can i'm worried i might lose him

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi I have a bearded dragon named Earl who is about a year old or so and he recently stopped eating entirely and just laying under his hammock. He has eaten about 2 hornworms in the past week and a little bit of greens but now he only stays under his hammock not moving at all. He doesn't seem to be losing that much weight but i am getting a scale soo just to make sure he isn't losing to much weight. His eyes aren't cloudy or anything. The only problem is that when he is under his hammock he isn't sleeping he's just laying there not moving with his eyes open. Please help me if you can i'm worried i might lose him
Please go over the uvb coil or long tube fixture? Surface basking temps ? How are you taking them ? This controls the eating and behavior of the dragon and is critical

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Please go over the uvb coil or long tube fixture? Surface basking temps ? How are you taking them ? This controls the eating and behavior of the dragon and is critical
he has a 10.0 tube uvb and 150 basking light on a dimmer so the basking temp is around 110 in the middle and the uvb light is 8 inches from the bottom of his tank. i use a thermometer in his tank that take the heat and humidity and i use a surface laser to take the exact heat of certain areas

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he has a 10.0 tube uvb and 150 basking light on a dimmer so the basking temp is around 110 in the middle and the uvb light is 8 inches from the bottom of his tank. i use a thermometer in his tank that take the heat and humidity and i use a surface laser to take the exact heat of certain areas
Are you using a T 5 or T 8? Please get 2 digital probe thermometers found at Petco or PetSmart - they are the most accurate and IR guns cannot read off of hammocks -- the screen will determine the placement and the bulb will determine distance for the UVB --- are you using any colored bulbs in the tank ? How old is the UVB bulb?

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Are you using a T 5 or T 8? Please get 2 digital probe thermometers found at Petco or PetSmart - they are the most accurate and IR guns cannot read off of hammocks -- the screen will determine the placement and the bulb will determine distance for the UVB --- are you using any colored bulbs in the tank ? How old is the UVB bulb?
he's been laying under the hammock and it's 90 under it when i have the 150 on and the uvb is brand new. it's only been on for 4 days because i just moved him to a bigger tank since he wasn't eating so i was hoping the big tank would help but no he's still not eating or anything. he's in a 75 gallon tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he's been laying under the hammock and it's 90 under it when i have the 150 on and the uvb is brand new. it's only been on for 4 days because i just moved him to a bigger tank since he wasn't eating so i was hoping the big tank would help but no he's still not eating or anything. he's in a 75 gallon tank
Is the UVB a T 5 or a T 8 there is a difference --- brand and bulb please

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so the screen on the tank is a wide hole or a fine mesh like a screen door - I need to help you get it properly placed
its actually hanging inside of the tank i made it. it sits 8 inches off the floor and is hung up by chain so it is sturdy enough to hold it

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just remeasured it and it is about 12 inches from the bottom of the tank is that to close or to far?
Is it inside the tank? Fine mesh it must be inside 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor wide holed on top of screen 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Is it inside the tank? Fine mesh it must be inside 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor wide holed on top of screen 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor
it's inside the tank hanging from the top. should i raise it up more it's about 10 inches from the bottom with the substrate.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it's inside the tank hanging from the top. should i raise it up more it's about 10 inches from the bottom with the substrate.
You want it 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - we need to explore other reasons for not eating - have you had a fecal test done for parasites- what is his staple insect? Any black bearding?

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
You want it 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - we need to explore other reasons for not eating - have you had a fecal test done for parasites- what is his staple insect? Any black bearding?
he hasn't pooped in a while because he hasn't been eating and his last poop wasn't runny and didn't have a very bad odor it was bigger than usual but he was built up for 2 days or so. he eats mealworms and hornworms and some dubia roaches. it used to be crickets but he got a parasite from them and now he never wants crickets. his favorite veggie is collard greens that i spray down.

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
i have class in about 10 minutes so i won't be able to respond i'm sorry but i'll be ok tomorrow if you are willing to help me. Thank you for all the help i appreciate it a lot i just want Earl to be ok

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he hasn't pooped in a while because he hasn't been eating and his last poop wasn't runny and didn't have a very bad odor it was bigger than usual but he was built up for 2 days or so. he eats mealworms and hornworms and some dubia roaches. it used to be crickets but he got a parasite from them and now he never wants crickets. his favorite veggie is collard greens that i spray down.
Ok offer some different greens like turnip kale and mustard maybe some squash- has he been basking under the uvb at all? Please weigh him- it's possible he's going into brumation and if he's losing weight you do not want him going into brumation - are you using a solid clear bright white basking bulb--- no off white or yellowish or daytime bulbs please--

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Ok offer some different greens like turnip kale and mustard maybe some squash- has he been basking under the uvb at all? Please weigh him- it's possible he's going into brumation and if he's losing weight you do not want him going into brumation - are you using a solid clear bright white basking bulb--- no off white or yellowish or daytime bulbs please--
He hasn't been leaving from under his hammock at all really and i don't know where i could find a clear white basking light please let me know

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He hasn't been leaving from under his hammock at all really and i don't know where i could find a clear white basking light please let me know
Flukers - Exo Terra intense or zoo med repti basking or a Arcadia halogen - you must have a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface basking temps-- you can look at Petco or PetSmart or any reptile shop-

iLoveEarl20613

Hatchling Dragon
Also i called my vet and they are sending me something called critical care that will hopefully bring his appetite back