• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I finally got my Dragon!

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
As you can probably tell from my avatar, I'm a big HTTYD fan. So... here's Meatlug! The name was picked out months ago, lol, but he also sorta picked it for himself (more on that later)
KiwTsSj.jpg

YRYpOlR.jpg

He's a normal, but I understand he's het to several mutations (Unlikely I'll ever breed him, but I like to know just because). I had this guy in my right hand and a pretty leatherback in my left at the reptile show, trying to pick. The leatherback was twitchy, but this guy wanted to settle in and take a nap! I'm hoping he keeps being a sweet cuddler.
The breeder says he's a boy, in fact, she double-checked with a light before I bought him. He's about 2 months old.
On the way home, I was thinking of perhaps choosing a different name for him (as the Meatlug in HTTYD is a girl), so I held up the little clear carton I had him in and asked "Are you Meatlug?"
*Head bob*
He hadn't head bobbed before or since, so I'm counting that as a yes! :D

He hasn't tried his collards or BSFL yet, but he's explored his whole enclosure, pooped, and then popped a 'sexy leg' pose on the hot spot.

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
So day 2 -- he ate at least a few mouthfuls of collard greens, and about 10-12 medium sized BSFL throughout the day (I've got them in an escape-proof bowl, so it's an all day buffet :cool:). It's probably overkill, but I've got the larvae I plan to feed next sitting in a tupperware filled with Repashy Superload and some leftover collards and minced carrots from yesterday. I know that BSFL aren't normally dusted, but I figure gut loading them with nutrients couldn't hurt...
Would it be ok to dust them maybe once or twice a week with some Repashy Calcium Plus? It just feels weird never dusting these little maggots...

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi there. little ones may not chow down on their greens too much. they kinda grow into that. needs lots of protein - add some variety with crickets and small dubias.

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
^ I'm not a big fan of 6 legged critters, but I did order some 1/2" superworms on recommendation of the breeder. She said he was raised on dubias, BSFL, and small superworms. He seems really happy to see a different type of worm in his bowl! I know they have a somewhat higher fat though, they're only going to be twice a week or less.
I already had a colony of superworms, but so far my babies are only under 1/4"...
The breeder said she never fed crickets because of parasite concerns...
If I ever get a mulberry tree planted, I'd love to also raise some silkworms. I just can't justify the cost of the chow right now(they eat so much!).