• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Humidity

Michael James

Bearded Dragon Egg
What's the best way to control humidity? I can't seem to consistently get my humidity below 60%. I have tried leaving the ceiling fan on to circulate the air better, I have tried putting extra newspaper and cork pieces in the tank to try and soak up some of the moisture, but I'm not having much luck. My guy seems to be in pretty good health as he is eating, pooping and sleeping normal. I'm just worried about him getting a possible respiratory infection from the excess moisture in the air. Any ideas?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have a small tabletop dehumidifier that I keep next to the tank that helps keep the humidity down.

Ciera

Bearded Dragon Egg
Take the water out. Bearded dragons often dont drink stagnant water becauae they dont see it persay. My bearded dragon has never used her water bowl so i just took it out. I give her a bath once a week for 15 minutes and shes good she occasionlly she will drink her bath water but when she does its very little and when ever i take her outside she gets an extra bath to make sure she doesnt get dehydrated. The vet said thats fine

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Take the water out. Bearded dragons often dont drink stagnant water becauae they dont see it persay. My bearded dragon has never used her water bowl so i just took it out. I give her a bath once a week for 15 minutes and shes good she occasionlly she will drink her bath water but when she does its very little and when ever i take her outside she gets an extra bath to make sure she doesnt get dehydrated. The vet said thats fine

He didn't say anything about having a water bowl in the tank. Unless there was another post I missed.

Ciera

Bearded Dragon Egg
He didn't say anything about having a water bowl in the tank. Unless there was another post I missed.

Well in order to have humidity you have to have water. My lizard tank has the same humity in her tank as the house which is virtually none so for the person to have a high humanity issue must be alot of water being evaporated.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Well he didn’t say, maybe his whole house is humid.

I don’t have water bowls in my tanks but I have elevated humidity in the summer because it’s more humid in our house. In the winter everything is bone dry. A dehumidifier helps out greatly.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can still have humidity even without a water dish..When you have an enclosed tank, with little to no active air flow, a live critter in there and add intense heat lamp you get humidity.