• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Humidity for bearded dragons?

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
So is the right percentage of humidity for bearded dragons 20%-40%??? Is 50% okay?? I bought a thermometer and humidity gauge and ever since then the humidity stays at 50 and thermometer is almost 100 degrees for his basking. I have a water dish should i take it out to help lower it? I just want him to have enough water while im gone at work, only veggies i have atm is kale, i gave him apples but he didn’t eat any they were bite size with no skin on them. He loves mealworms and wax worms. Im concerned

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So is the right percentage of humidity for bearded dragons 20%-40%??? Is 50% okay?? I bought a thermometer and humidity gauge and ever since then the humidity stays at 50 and thermometer is almost 100 degrees for his basking. I have a water dish should i take it out to help lower it? I just want him to have enough water while im gone at work, only veggies i have atm is kale, i gave him apples but he didn’t eat any they were bite size with no skin on them. He loves mealworms and wax worms. Im concerned
If your dragon is a baby please NO more meal worms and feed wax worms sparingly they are very fatty and long term feeding and too many can cause long term liver damage --meal worms are too hard on their stomachs --- the basking temp needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- humidity levels will fluctuate at nite and day -- the basking light of the heat will lower them -- at nite they will rise -- as long as your humidity does not go over 70% your fine ---average level during the day can be from 25-40% and at nite it will rise -- you need a hygrometer I recommend a digital one stick ons will work and it should be placed on the back wall center of wall -- digital ones should have a probe placed on the back center of wall -- do you have the nutrition website ? If not I will post it for you-- unless your dragon is actually drinking from the water dish I would remove it -- rinse the kale and other salad material like turnip mustard or collard greens before serving and he will get moisture thru them -- make sure your gut loading the insects w/ good hydration too like carrots they will get some hydration thru them but mostly thru the salad -- do not feed your dragon carrots too to much Vit A --a better treat worm for him would be small - med super worms and butter worms and horn worms -- the horn worms grow really fast so you want small or babies and feed like 2 at a time --- they are a great hydrating worm --- if they sit too long they will out grow him -- you can get both super worms and horn worms from here www.dubiaraoches.com the butter worms are here www.mulberryfarms.com spendy on shipping tho and DO not order supers from there they ship in paper and come w/ no food or in a container for keeping them in dubia roaches ships in cups and they come w/ food --

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Is it a digital humidity gauge? The analog ones are inaccurate.
50% or more is too high and can give him a respiratory infection. Decrease the size of his water dish, or at least the amount provided. If you are using a high humidity substrate (cypress mulch, coconut fiber, etc.), swap it out for a more arid one.
What insects do you use as a staple feeder? Waxworms and mealworms are both too fatty, and mealies can be dangerous for babies... I recommend dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvae/phoenix worms, and silkworms for all ages.

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
If your dragon is a baby please NO more meal worms and feed wax worms sparingly they are very fatty and long term feeding and too many can cause long term liver damage --meal worms are too hard on their stomachs --- the basking temp needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- humidity levels will fluctuate at nite and day -- the basking light of the heat will lower them -- at nite they will rise -- as long as your humidity does not go over 70% your fine ---average level during the day can be from 25-40% and at nite it will rise -- you need a hygrometer I recommend a digital one stick ons will work and it should be placed on the back wall center of wall -- digital ones should have a probe placed on the back center of wall -- do you have the nutrition website ? If not I will post it for you-- unless your dragon is actually drinking from the water dish I would remove it -- rinse the kale and other salad material like turnip mustard or collard greens before serving and he will get moisture thru them -- make sure your gut loading the insects w/ good hydration too like carrots they will get some hydration thru them but mostly thru the salad -- do not feed your dragon carrots too to much Vit A --a better treat worm for him would be small - med super worms and butter worms and horn worms -- the horn worms grow really fast so you want small or babies and feed like 2 at a time --- they are a great hydrating worm --- if they sit too long they will out grow him -- you can get both super worms and horn worms from here www.dubiaraoches.com the butter worms are here www.mulberryfarms.com spendy on shipping tho and DO not order supers from there they ship in paper and come w/ no food or in a container for keeping them in dubia roaches ships in cups and they come w/ food --
At my work all we have are mealworms, we are out of superworms and my bearded dragon is 3 years old, hes a good size. Im just a bit tight on money and im waiting on a refund from amazon. I don’t have a nutrition website. I get so many different answers. Hes not drinking from the dish, so i should remove it? The dish is on the cool side not the heated side. Is this a good digital gauge? https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-digit...0oD5JL5QGqg2q9zs_tCCOpl5rZs5VthYaAj08EALw_wcB

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At my work all we have are mealworms, we are out of superworms and my bearded dragon is 3 years old, hes a good size. Im just a bit tight on money and im waiting on a refund from amazon
Ok well the meal worms are ok then just limit the waxworms --- and get the digital when you can --- I used the analog for years and it worked fine -- just place it on the back center of wall -- and if its new it should be fine -- your fine as long as its not over 70%

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
Is it a digital humidity gauge? The analog ones are inaccurate.
50% or more is too high and can give him a respiratory infection. Decrease the size of his water dish, or at least the amount provided. If you are using a high humidity substrate (cypress mulch, coconut fiber, etc.), swap it out for a more arid one.
What insects do you use as a staple feeder? Waxworms and mealworms are both too fatty, and mealies can be dangerous for babies... I recommend dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvae/phoenix worms, and silkworms for all ages.
No its a stick on and the dish isn’t too big, its a small corner dish from the pet store, and i am using reptile carpet, right now what i bought for the mean time was mealworms/wax worms and kale, i gave my beardy some crickets 30 mins ago

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
No its a stick on and the dish isn’t too big, its a small corner dish from the pet store, and i am using reptile carpet, right now what i bought for the mean time was mealworms/wax worms and kale, i gave my beardy some crickets 30 mins ago
Okay, swap out the stick on for a digital when you're able to. Reptile carpet harbors bacteria, switch to paper towel or tile if possible. If the beardie doesn't use the dish you can remove it.

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
Ok well the meal worms are ok then just limit the waxworms --- and get the digital when you can --- I used the analog for years and it worked fine -- just place it on the back center of wall -- and if its new it should be fine -- your fine as long as its not over 70%
So is 50% humidity fine? The other guy said its not..

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, swap out the stick on for a digital when you're able to. Reptile carpet harbors bacteria, switch to paper towel or tile if possible. If the beardie doesn't use the dish you can remove it.
Is 40% safe at least even if its not between what it needs to be? I chose carpet because it was easier to clean

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
20-40% is ideal, I prefer not to go above it to run the risk of RI's. You may not be getting an accurate reading because of the analog meter. Anything around 70% or higher is extremely dangerous.
True you don't want 70% or higher- I have gotten this info from very experienced dragon owners so my tanks have run close to 50% and have had no issues-- the analog I used as well I just upgraded to the digital cuz the analog were getting old

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
20-40% is ideal, I prefer not to go above it to run the risk of RI's. You may not be getting an accurate reading because of the analog meter. Anything around 70% or higher is extremely dangerous.
I turned my beardies lights of for the night and saw my humidity was at 70%!! Like how in the world can i fix this and i dont know if its the cheap stick ons that aren’t accurate but its freaking me out

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
True you don't want 70% or higher- I have gotten this info from very experienced dragon owners so my tanks have run close to 50% and have had no issues-- the analog I used as well I just upgraded to the digital cuz the analog were getting old
I turned my beardies lights of for the night and saw my humidity was at 70%!! Like how in the world can i fix this and i dont know if its the cheap stick ons that aren’t accurate but its freaking me out

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes 70% is too high --- any water bowls in the tank take them out --- get a sock of rice and place in the tank that will draw the humidity out -- you can get a dehumidifier and place in the room w/ her -- are you in FL ? any live plants in the tank ? if so take them out

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
Yes 70% is too high --- any water bowls in the tank take them out --- get a sock of rice and place in the tank that will draw the humidity out -- you can get a dehumidifier and place in the room w/ her -- are you in FL ? any live plants in the tank ? if so take them out
I want to assume its not 70% because i was using petco brand thermometer/ humidity gauges, i bought myself a digital thermometer probe and i will order a hygrometer from amazon. I have no water bowls currently in the enclosure its mesh top has plenty of ventilation and lights are on one side, i havent misted him at all but i also live in Virginia, and there are no live plants

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I want to assume its not 70% because i was using petco brand thermometer/ humidity gauges, i bought myself a digital thermometer probe and i will order a hygrometer from amazon. I have no water bowls currently in the enclosure its mesh top has plenty of ventilation and lights are on one side, i havent misted him at all but i also live in Virginia, and there are no live plants
ok so when you get your hygrometer place it in the middle back wall of tank please-- lets see if the one from Petco is off

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
ok so when you get your hygrometer place it in the middle back wall of tank please-- lets see if the one from Petco is off
Ok so i just got the hygrometer in this morning and when i first pulled it out of the box it said my room was 70% which it was in a box with no bubble wrap or anything like that. Stuck it in the middle back wall of my tank and it is reading 45% humidity

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so i just got the hygrometer in this morning and when i first pulled it out of the box it said my room was 70% which it was in a box with no bubble wrap or anything like that. Stuck it in the middle back wall of my tank and it is reading 45% humidity
Your good- anywhere from 30% - 60% which is high but no higher than 70%-- my tanks run around 45% during the day