• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to treat bearded dragon constipation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beardie fan

My baby bearded dragon isn't eating and I think he is constipated. The only thing I've done any different than usual is that I started feeding him really large meal worms.

Does anyone know how to treat bearded dragon constipation? I am worried that he will get really sick if I don't do anything about it.

Please help.

BeardedD

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It sounds like your bearded dragon is suffering from a case of impaction. What is impaction? It is when your bearded dragon gets blockage in its intestinal tract which if not treated can cause some serious health issues.

Bearded dragon constipation or "impaction" can be caused by a number of things. Sometimes if a bearded dragon eats too many meal worms they can't properly digest their husks and can cause such problems.

When dealing with this problem it is always best to take your bearded dragon to a herp vet so it can get the treatment it needs and to properly diagnose the problem.

If this isn't an option, you may want to consider giving your bearded dragon a bath. By giving your bearded dragon a bath, sometimes water will encourage them to defecate... kinda like beardielax :D - Try giving it more fruits and vegetables and make sure plenty of water is available for consumption. You'll probably want to lay off the meal worms and anything hard for a while. I will sometimes feed my bearded dragon some mango or papaya to help aide in digestion. When feeding your bearded dragon meal worms less is more.

Hope this helps!

BillyJack

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes less mealworms, more crickets, I even use silkworms to change it up. Superworms break down better too...but they are huge! My bd grinds them up pretty good tho!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
a good option along with a warm bath would be a few pieces of iceburg lettuce (a great natural laxitive) and/or some veggie oil should loosen things up as well...i personally would stay away from mealworms altogether...there are many other alternative insects out there that are healthier for your dragon as well...silkworms (like mentioned above) are amazing feeders...crickets, phoenix worms, and roaches are all suitable insects

Status
Not open for further replies.