• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to stop beardie from pooping on hammock?

Tigereye

Bearded Dragon Egg
Title practically says it all. My bearded dragon, Sunny, seems to favour pooping on her rope hammock, which is an absolute pain to clean. Not to mention the poop will also fall onto whatever is underneath it due to the holes, which is usually her cave. Sometimes she’ll poop on the floor of the tank somewhere, but it’s not as common. I’ve debated getting her a different hammock that’s easier to wash, but she gets really upset whenever I remove hers, including when I take it out to clean. She’ll glass surf on the side of her tank next to me to get my attention and will pace her cage around where her hammock usually is. For now, I have two hammocks, but it’s still a real problem to clean. I’ve read online that it’s possible to train them to poop somewhere, but it all involves a spot on the floor where you can put a litter box or tray, which isn’t really possible in this case.

Her current substrate is paper towels, which I’m hoping to switch to tile soon (but I’d like to see if there’s any solution to this problem first), and she’s about a year old. She’s also spoiled with a 120 gallon tank.

Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 2F98B0AD-D33A-410A-8AFE-04786F2C4DE4.jpeg
    2F98B0AD-D33A-410A-8AFE-04786F2C4DE4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Title practically says it all. My bearded dragon, Sunny, seems to favour pooping on her rope hammock, which is an absolute pain to clean. Not to mention the poop will also fall onto whatever is underneath it due to the holes, which is usually her cave. Sometimes she’ll poop on the floor of the tank somewhere, but it’s not as common. I’ve debated getting her a different hammock that’s easier to wash, but she gets really upset whenever I remove hers, including when I take it out to clean. She’ll glass surf on the side of her tank next to me to get my attention and will pace her cage around where her hammock usually is. For now, I have two hammocks, but it’s still a real problem to clean. I’ve read online that it’s possible to train them to poop somewhere, but it all involves a spot on the floor where you can put a litter box or tray, which isn’t really possible in this case.

Her current substrate is paper towels, which I’m hoping to switch to tile soon (but I’d like to see if there’s any solution to this problem first), and she’s about a year old. She’s also spoiled with a 120 gallon tank.

Any advice or help would be appreciated!
The only thing I can suggest and recommend is get 2 cloth or fleece hammocks and wash them -- the one she is using are kind of a hazzard w/ the nails getting caught in them causing injury -- look on www.etsy.com search bearded dragon decor and this website www.pamperedbeardies.com try there and see what you can find -- as far training them to poop elsewhere I have not a clue as to how to do that --

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
I had the same issue with mine pooping on his big bridge. Yes it is a pain to clean. I started putting in a folded paper towel on his bridge and he poops on it! Unless the paper towel falls off he uses it every time. All I do is take it out and flush it. Halo is only 5 months old and does not like a dirty house.

Tigereye

Bearded Dragon Egg
I had the same issue with mine pooping on his big bridge. Yes it is a pain to clean. I started putting in a folded paper towel on his bridge and he poops on it! Unless the paper towel falls off he uses it every time. All I do is take it out and flush it. Halo is only 5 months old and does not like a dirty house.
I’ll give it a try! Hopefully it helps out!

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
Hope it works too. It may take a minute to get your baby used to doing it. Halo always pooped in the same spot so it was kinda easy for me. Luck to you and let us know if it helps.