• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to prevent the spread of yellow fungus.

ariel.e.best

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a beardie that likely has yellow fungus. What I was wanting to know is if any one knows what I need to do to sanitize my home so it doesn't spread to any other bearded dragons. The dragon in question has touched our carpet and furniture. Does anyone know how to make sure it cant spread from that or how long the fungus lives for on surfaces? Also I want to sanitize some things in the terrarium can things like Mopani wood or fake plants be sanitized, and if I can how do I go about it to make sure the fungus is gone from the items.

smokejunky

Juvenile Dragon
Pretty much once it's in the house it not going away.for the tank and equipment toss it can't wash it ouy.yellow fungus is not a pretty bacteria and uncurable spreads like wild fire . your best bet for your other dragons move them to the opposite side of the house and change cloths and wash hands and arms before ever going near them after touching the infected. Sorry for the bad news

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I have a beardie that likely has yellow fungus. What I was wanting to know is if any one knows what I need to do to sanitize my home so it doesn't spread to any other bearded dragons. The dragon in question has touched our carpet and furniture. Does anyone know how to make sure it cant spread from that or how long the fungus lives for on surfaces? Also I want to sanitize some things in the terrarium can things like Mopani wood or fake plants be sanitized, and if I can how do I go about it to make sure the fungus is gone from the items.
u may be best talking to Noella send her a pm. she had a beautiful beardie who sadly got it and passed away but she may be able to give u more info :)

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow, hold on now, there are a few things here to clear up. Yellow fungus is treatable unless it has progressed significantly, so no need to go euthanizing just yet. And no, you do not need to throw everything away. The fungus responsible does not like heat at all. Anything over about 35 C/95 F will kill it. So just bake it or even just put it in hot water.

Though the exact causes that lead to what we know as YF are often vague, it starts from a common fungus called CANV. For most dragons, people, etc its not a problem. However, when they have suppressed immune systems, or other issues, all of a sudden it can cause significant issues. I say the exact cause is vague, because like flesh eating disease, its a common thing and no one really knows exactly why it becomes a big issue for some. Hypovitaminosis A and antibiotics are both possible causes, but again this is still just conjecture at this point. The big problem with YF is that it does not just stay on the surface/skin. It infects lower into tissue, organs, and bones and that is why it is can be so difficult to treat. Many people just try topical treatments, which can make it go away on the surface, but dont treat the internal infection. This of course leads to further problems and future outbreaks down the road, thus why some people think it is never cured. Generally, the tissue that is damaged has to be removed, and then a rigorous antifungal is prescribed for internal infection, with topical treatment for the skin as well.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
After Allie's death, I threw away all the equipment of Allie's: Basking sticks, hides, everything. Took the tank out of the house and cleaned it with ammonia and boiling hot water. Scrubbed the surfaces and let them sit for five minutes. Then rinsed well with cold water to rid the ammonia out of it. Then cleaned with White Cloud Bleach. (It gets rid of Athletes Foot Fungus.) I used the bleach and hot boiling water and repeated the procedure with the Ammonia. Then I waited five minutes, and rinsed the tank. I have a shed so I aired out the tank in there for over 24 hours. Until it was fully dry.

I bought new items for another one because I'm so heartbroken from Allie's death.

It was a horrible time. I was doing everything I could for Allie. I treated her with external soaks in Reptaid XL, internal with the Reptaid XL, and cleaned her tank out every day. I cleaned her logs and baked them before letting her have them to bask. She was basking still up until her death. The picture below is of her basking while ill. I tried so hard to keep her alive. I spent a lot of my time rescue breathing her and trying to give the Reptaid XL a chance at helping her. She had stopped eating, but she drank. I fed her soft semi-solid greens daily and she kept trying to stay with me. She didn't want to die. She rallied on May 3rd, acting all normal and everything looked good. I took her outside and let her look around. I put her back into her tank and let her warm up. I headed out for an early dinner for my birthday. While out, she had passed away. I couldn't put her into her casket until the next morning. I did all of my nightly rituals with her. Having her sleep on my chest under her blanket, and then putting her to bed. Then I put her into her casket with her toy, leash, blanket, and stuffing for a pillow-like surface. I buried her at the foot of my steps and placed her guardian angel on her grave along with some flowers. Allie had complications due to surgery. I couldn't figure out how or why she got it.

I have no other reptiles in my house except for a bird and three dogs. No snakes, nothing. The vet's office let her out and run around on every surface there was and they do treat other bearded dragons. There's a chance that she contracted yellow fungus disease there.
allie2.jpg

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Healthy Allie.

Attachments

• Allie (2).jpg
    Allie (2).jpg
    114 KB · Views: 102
  • Allie12.jpg
    Allie12.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Allie61.JPG
    Allie61.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Allie66.JPG
    Allie66.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 58

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm very sorry for your loss Noella. Did your vet not recommend voriconazole as a treatment? It's showing good results in clearing the disease in as little as a month. Even itraconazole, which was the treatment previously, was somewhat effective, though not nearly as effective as voriconazole.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Allie was so beaitiful and she was such a fighter. I still think bout her everyday :(

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm very sorry for your loss Noella. Did your vet not recommend voriconazole as a treatment? It's showing good results in clearing the disease in as little as a month. Even itraconazole, which was the treatment previously, was somewhat effective, though not nearly as effective as voriconazole.

No. When I went to get into the vet because she wasn't getting any better, the vet assistant refused to let her be seen and wouldn't refer me to any emergency vet! I tried so hard to get help and the only thing I could use was Reptaid XL. It has antifungal treatments in there and is supposed to help get rid of yellow fungus disease. I miss her every single day and don't blame myself. I blame the vet's assistant for not allowing me into see the vet when she was getting worse. I thought she was getting better because she was still eating and drinking plenty of water. I kept her hydrated and hand fed her greens and phoenix worms.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Allie was so beaitiful and she was such a fighter. I still think bout her everyday :(

Me too. I would've done anything to help her if it weren't for that vet assistant. I haven't forgiven the vet's assistant. I don't think I will. She is such a horrible person and is trying to get her Vet Tech license. I wonder how many people lost their animals or reptiles on her 'decision'. I went to our local community garden for vegetables and found myself picking squashes to eat. Summer Crookneck, huge yellow squash, and large zucchini. I saw watermelon, cantaloupes, but not ripe. Plenty of corn, no beans yet, and tomatoes, no spinach or lettuce yet. I kept thinking about Allie's favorite vegetables. Oh I got a lot of cucumbers.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No. When I went to get into the vet because she wasn't getting any better, the vet assistant refused to let her be seen and wouldn't refer me to any emergency vet! I tried so hard to get help and the only thing I could use was Reptaid XL. It has antifungal treatments in there and is supposed to help get rid of yellow fungus disease. I miss her every single day and don't blame myself. I blame the vet's assistant for not allowing me into see the vet when she was getting worse. I thought she was getting better because she was still eating and drinking plenty of water. I kept her hydrated and hand fed her greens and phoenix worms.

Wow, thats terrible. Did they give some reason why they wouldnt see you? Thats crazy

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow, thats terrible. Did they give some reason why they wouldnt see you? Thats crazy

They wanted their money straight up front. She had surgery before for a lump that was 'bacterial' in nature. They removed the lump and everything was going good. The surgery was 500.00 on a Care Credit. Then I owed out of pocket 65.00 for antibiotics for a respiratory infection that she got a month later. (They told me that she couldn't have gotten the RI from them because they're clean...) They wanted their payment in full. I told them that I would come in and pay what I had obtained from the Allie Fund. (Still on as a benefit) But this was the vet's assistant who wouldn't accept whatever I had to offer and made the decision not to let the vet see her.