• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how to help her lose weight?

Dwaggie

Bearded Dragon Egg
heya!

a few weeks ago, i took my beardie (she's 5, had her for a couple months now) to the vet for a checkup.
she got de-worming meds and was otherwise fine.
she is a bit on the fat side (vet said it's still within tolerance but i should watch her) so she now only gets bugs once a week (i sometimes use a cricket or worm to get her to move, but over one week, she doesn't get more than maybe 4-5 superworms/large mealworms, 3-4 big dubias and 1-3 crickets)
she does NOT like her greens.
she will eagerly go for carrots, red sweet pepper, sweet potato (though i only give her very small amounts) and other brightly colored food
green leaves, she'll only take if i haven't fed her anything in a few days

i don't want to make her go hungry, but even with very little food, she keeps gaining and i don't know what i'm doing wrong
she won't move much, mostly just hanging out under her basking lamp
i dust her foods with calcium, calc +D3 or repti vitamins every time (i don't keep notes, but i try giving her a dose of each a week)

she does poop regularly (about once a day, occasionally skips a day) and her poop looks... well, about what i've seen it should look like.
i bathe her every 2-3 days,

uuuuhm, what else...
i tried giving her a small ball to play (ping-pong ball, i drew little bugs on them to make her more interested, but it didn't work)
she gets handled, pet and snuggled every day, even if it's only for a few minutes,

is there any tips how to help her lose weight without giving her even less food? (or, maybe i'm doing it wrong, she's my first beardie and i'm doing my best, but there's still much for me to learn)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Has the vet ruled out eggs? If she's not eating as much but still gaining weight, she could be forming eggs in her belly.

Sounds like you are spot on with the food. Just need to get her moving a little more. Can you take her out of her tank and give hers some run time in a bigger room. I started something with my boy the other day, I have a cat toy with a fake bug on the end of it and I get him to chase it a little around the room to keep him moving.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use a room for run around time and I also use bath time as exercise making them swim some.. works on this end to some extent. I agree did the vet rule out eggs.

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
I agree with Patsy and Hdrydr, it sounds a bit like she may have eggs, I normally tell by the tip of the tail getting darker, and feeling the belly during bathtime, you should be able to feel grape sized lumps evenly spaced on both sides of her belly if she has eggs.