• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to get my beardie to try new foods

Tobooki

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my beardie will only eat leafy greens. I know they arent always the best for him, so I try to add things like shredded carrots, squash, peppers, etc. But he just wont try them!
I tried all the tips, put some bugs on them, mix them in with the leaves, waiting patiently with only the other veggies but he'll try eating at nothing off the ground if I dont offer him leaves ... nothing works.
He's always really good about hand feeding, so I tried to offer him a piece of shredded carrot today and he literally turned away and bit me on purpose.
What should I do? I want to give him a healthy diet of veggies but he's just not having it... he even digs at his dish to throw all the veggies out of the dish out of spite.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
so there is no easy answer to this. Some dragons just do not like to eat their veggies or fruits even...ever...even when they are hungry! lol. They will hang out for bugs, snubbing everything else offered to them. They must know they will win in the end. At least yours like his greens, thats a good thing.
If you want to get those extra vitamins into him, you will have to put them in the bugs. Gutload them with the same stuff you want your beardie to eat.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Leafy greens are a good diet. Healthy greens are my staple and veggies like squash and peppers etc are just a little extra that they get maybe a few times a week.

Kim G

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my beardie will only eat leafy greens. I know they arent always the best for him, so I try to add things like shredded carrots, squash, peppers, etc. But he just wont try them!
I tried all the tips, put some bugs on them, mix them in with the leaves, waiting patiently with only the other veggies but he'll try eating at nothing off the ground if I dont offer him leaves ... nothing works.
He's always really good about hand feeding, so I tried to offer him a piece of shredded carrot today and he literally turned away and bit me on purpose.
What should I do? I want to give him a healthy diet of veggies but he's just not having it... he even digs at his dish to throw all the veggies out of the dish out of spite.

This was happening to me with my bearded dragon, the best thing that I found to do was to dice up whatever I wanted to give her and put it in extreme moderation into her salad that I made. She would not eat fruit ever, now she loves strawberries on her salad. Squash and those other things as long as their diced up enough she will eat them. And I noticed once you got used to them I didn’t have to dice them so small. (Still small enough that she couldn’t herself eating, which I’m probably overdoing it but she likes it so we’re good)