• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to encourage a more varied diet?

JeanieMAK

Bearded Dragon Egg
My baby beardie is about 4.5 months old, and I have yet to see him eat anything other than crickets. He eats plenty of those, and he seems happy enough, moves around a lot, poops pretty much every day.
We have offered a lot of different things, leafy greens cut up pretty small, tiny shreds of carrots, tiny chopped apples and pumpkin and whatever we have on hand. I know a lot of what we've tried are things we wouldn't want to feed him often, but since he hasn't eaten anything yet I haven't worried too much about that.
I've read they eat more insects as babies and more veggies as adults, but is it normal for them to not eat anything at all? Sometimes I'll see him with his head in his dish like he's checking it out, but never caught him actually eating any of it.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Nothing to worry about, at this age. Just keep offering a good variety every day, like you’re doing. I see Jayne taste hers from time to time. Other days, all she does is poop in it or scatter it everywhere. They need lots of protein right now, so insects are their main focus.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just keep offering things and eventually they will try them. Have you tried other insects? BSFL, dubia, hornworms, silkworms are all good to add variety to the diet.

Latest posts