• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to encourage a beardie to eat insects again?

Itio

Bearded Dragon Egg
My little beardie, Softserve, recently had to go to the vet because he stopped eating. Found there was a urate plug and to give him some pumpkin and medication to help him pass it.

Well, now he's pooping regularly and eating salad and willingly taking syringe pumpkin/grubpie mixture. He won't touch his insects though. In fact, he almost acts afraid of them now.

I think he may have an aversion to them now because it was the last thing he hate and puked up before he stopped eating. I have offered him mealworms, crickets, waxworms, and superworms with no interest. I'm going to get some dubia roaches and hornworms today to see if he'll eat them. He's roughly six months old so I know he needs to be eating more insect protein than salad to keep healthy.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get him eating regularly again?

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
I think the roaches and hornworms are a good idea. Try a hornworm first, since they're nice and soft, and may sort of prime his hunting instinct. It may be best to avoid mealworms and superworms altogether for now. You could also try BSFL, and if you can find some, silkworms.

Itio

Bearded Dragon Egg
I brought home some hornworms and dubia and he finally has his usual hunting instinct down!!
I really hope it stays and I can get him eating regularly again. Poor baby has had a rough time surrounding food. I got him from my work and he was part of a group that didn't eat so we syringe fed them until they perked back up, but that took nearly a month.
At least he's used to the syringe and medicating him is easy

mushu.monster

Bearded Dragon Egg
Try getting some dried ones and mixing in with his salad if he is actively eating salad, this could gradually work him up to eating live ones again. How old is your beardie? He may simply be growing out of his younger bug appetite. But you are doing a good job of mixing bugs and trying new ones - keep up the good care!