• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How often should I change out for dubia colony?

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
For the dry food that you give Dubias, how often should you switch it out? Does the dry food even go bad? Or should I just put in more every now and then?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The dry chow can "go bad" in that it can get infested with microscopic bugs, so I keep any extra chow in the fridge and I put the chow in plastic lids in their tubs and give fresh every week.

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
The dry chow can "go bad" in that it can get infested with microscopic bugs, so I keep any extra chow in the fridge and I put the chow in plastic lids in their tubs and give fresh every week.
Do you make your own or do you just buy some from a store. If you do make your own, what are the ingredients?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you make your own or do you just buy some from a store. If you do make your own, what are the ingredients?
I do make my own as I like knowing what's in it. I put rabbit or guinea pig food, oats, wheat bran, honey cherrios, fish flakes. You can also put some supplements in there too like Bee Pollen, alfalfa powder, dandilion powder for example. I store it in the fridge.

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
I do make my own as I like knowing what's in it. I put rabbit or guinea pig food, oats, wheat bran, honey cherrios, fish flakes. You can also put some supplements in there too like Bee Pollen, alfalfa powder, dandilion powder for example. I store it in the fridge.
Oh alright. I’ve been trying to look for a good recipe and I like yours. I’ll start making my own. I buy some from my local reptile store and it’s starting to become expensive

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh alright. I’ve been trying to look for a good recipe and I like yours. I’ll start making my own. I buy some from my local reptile store and it’s starting to become expensive
You can make quite a lot as I use up the bags of stuff so I put it in nice plastic containers and I store it in fridge. I made the mistake a time or two by keeping it in my room with the bugs and I ended up with grain mites (I think) the food moved so under a magnifying glass I saw tiny mites..so threw it all away

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk