• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how much do i feed of hornworms, butterworms, and phoenixworms

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
hi i orded jessie(bd) some hornworms, butterworms, and phoenixworms for a christmas present,
just wanted to know how many do i feed to jessie? i thought he is getting tired of crickets, because he used to eat 21 crickets in the morning and 21 crickets in the evening and veg in between
now i can get him to eat crickets in the morning but he will not eat in the evening now what do you think is wrong? he is 4 months old

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Pheonix worms can be used a staple feeder, thus if your beardie is a baby / juvie (0-12 mnths) he can eat as much as he wants to 2-3 times a day as much as he will take in a 10-15 minute time span during each feeding (It could be anywhere from 50-100 per day)

For sub adults and adults about 50 feeders per week. You can feed them all in one day or spaced out over the 7 days of the week. They need more greens than meat.

Hornworms have been used as a staple by some people also due to Adults and sub adults needing less meat these Horns are more often used for adults as a staple along with another feeder., but due to their price many give 1 or 2 daily and use a cheaper staple like roaches, cricks, pheonix etc... for the other bugs during the day.

Butterworms have a high fat content and are used as a treat feeder item, give a few every other day (Id say about 10) and use the peheonix for the rest of the feeders. Too much fat can cause liver issues and obesity. Butters are commonly used to ftten emaciated rescues, or for females after egg laying or like i already said as a treat. Think of them as BD chocolate

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Adult BD then, thus approx 50 feeders a week (this is a average depending on feeder used, some eat more some less). The butters as a treat stays the same due to the high fat content but Horns become a better staple due to their size. Akso pheonix worms arent really all that big. For example 1 adult cricket = 2.5 adult roaches and 1 adult cricket = 1.5 adult superworms. So figure out how many pheonix would be good

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
so he is a adult now? his birthday is july 28th, i didnt know that that might be the reason he stop eating his crickets at night we was feeding 20-24 crickets in the morning and veg all day and again another 20-24 crickets at night until recent for about a week now or more he has refuse his crickts at his night and won't eat them i thought maybe he is tired of crickets and whated something different i do have a dubia roach coloney started but don't have any babies yet i have fed him some of the little ones that was in there he likes them also

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
so he is a adult now

Ahhhhh sheesh kebab :eek: Im sorry for some weird reason i read the 22 weeks as MONTHS. Sorry. NOPE hes a baby/juvie at 5.5 months old. My 1st post would be then how to feed. Really sorry, gotta make sure i dont read wrong again;)

Mine got bored of Cricks real fast also. I now use roaches and supers as taple. Mine is an adult so i do large supers and roaches. BUT fir you you can use the small roaches and horns and pheonix. With alternating them you create variety and yours wont get bored and maybe start eating more again. They need a LOT of protein as babies/juvies

Maybe the eating less has something to so with an oncoming shed????

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
i would definately make sure you don't over feed your beardie, because i made the mistake of spoiling mine so much by letting him eat so much and next thing you know i'm reading stuff online about how bad & deadly it can be to your dragon if they're over weight. my fat boy started being more lazy and that worried me, so i cut back on the food intake & he's much more energetic now! lol. & if i were you, i would definately stick to silk worms & phoenix worms! phoenix worms are probably the best staple bug to feed beardies. their wonderful calcium to phosphorus ratio, they've been known to reverse MBD, very nutritous, super easy to care for, no hard shell, little fat content and beardie's love how they wiggle. they're perk your beardie right up!!