• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many springtails and isopods should I use?

Newtobeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 161 cm x 61 cm x 61 cm front sliding door vivarium for a new juvenile bearded dragon, I’m going to be using Arcadia earth mix arid 10L substrate was hoping to get info on how deep should I have this substrate, if I use isopods and springtails how many of each should I use. Also leaf litter on top and bits of buried bark, which type of each are best and how much of each should be used. Greatly appreciate any help..

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a 161 cm x 61 cm x 61 cm front sliding door vivarium for a new juvenile bearded dragon, I’m going to be using Arcadia earth mix arid 10L substrate was hoping to get info on how deep should I have this substrate, if I use isopods and springtails how many of each should I use. Also leaf litter on top and bits of buried bark, which type of each are best and how much of each should be used. Greatly appreciate any help..
At least 6 inches of substrate would be great. If you add springtails in I added a 8oz cup I bought off eBay in my 150gal and now have millions of them . Believe it or not I got my isopods from my backyard I quarantined them for generations first but I did buy them as well like orange and purple dwarf isopods the Florida fast isopod. But you also want to leave superworms in there they are great cleaners plus a good snack if they get hunted same for dubia roaches . Use sphagnum moss some other botanicals like charcoal and lava rock etc

Newtobeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
At least 6 inches of substrate would be great. If you add springtails in I added a 8oz cup I bought off eBay in my 150gal and now have millions of them . Believe it or not I got my isopods from my backyard I quarantined them for generations first but I did buy them as well like orange and purple dwarf isopods the Florida fast isopod. But you also want to leave superworms in there they are great cleaners plus a good snack if they get hunted same for dubia roaches . Use sphagnum moss some other botanicals like charcoal and lava rock etc

Newtobeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Appreciate the help with at least 6 inches of depth around the vivarium and also springtails being sporific enough around damp spots. Still don't understand enough about which isopods or how many have to be used and how often to be replaced

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Appreciate the help with at least 6 inches of depth around the vivarium and also springtails being sporific enough around damp spots. Still don't understand enough about which isopods or how many have to be used and how often to be replaced
I've never replaced mine but I've seeded with other bloodline before. I even have jumping spiders in my bio they're very tiny

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The isopods you want are the white dwarf isopods and you want some blue scavenger isopods those are important