• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many crickets a day?

Jenni.nol4

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a four month old bearded dragon, I feed him kale daily and the people at petco said to feed him two to three medium sized crickets a day, is this correct?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, no its not correct, typical petco nonsense. Firstly, kale is not a staple veg for everyday use, as it binds calcium and so should only be fed in moderation or mixed with a staple like collard greens, mustard greens or squash. The following list shows which foods to feed and how often they should be used.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html
Juvenile beardies need a lot of protien for growth, they should be fed as many insects as they can eat, as much as 3 times a day. They could eat as many as 50 crickets in a day depending on the size of their appetite, the veggies should be offered on top of these (tthough many wont eat veg till they are older, they still need to be offered)
Their food also needs to be dusted with calcium and multivitamins. I recommend feeding dubia roaches instead of crickets as they are way more nutritious, one dubia=4 crickets. The bugs should be gut loaded with the same veg you feed to your dragon.
Please also see this thread, to make sure your lighting, temps etc are correct as I doubt petco gave you good advice there either:
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/general-info-set-up-1st-timers.13863/

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
BeardedHippy is correct. Your little one is still growing and needs lots of protein. You should feed it 2-3x a day as much as it wants to eat in 10 min, then remove the uneaten food.

Under my comment are links to general care, take a look at them if you haven't already done so. Pet stores are known to give more bad advise than good.