• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long until I should be worried?

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie is approximately 4 months old. We've had him for 2 months now.

He's never been a big eater. I could never get him to eat crickets or bsfl after multiple attempts. His staple is dubias, but he would only eat ~10 to 12 small ones per day at most. I've yet to see him touch the daily salad I give him, yet I still out it in (Kale, collard greens, mustard greens, peppers, strawberries, blueberries.).

This past weekend, we changed his encloursure from to one of near identical size, but opens from front instead of at the top. Put on same cling background, same tank decorations and setup as before. The only change other than tank itself is I changed from an 18" T8 UVB to a 24" Arcadia T5 (12%).

Now 5 days since changing his enclosure, he has pretty much refused all food. He's only eaten a total of 2 small dubias in the past 5 days. How long can this go before I should get worried? What else can I try?

Things to know:
*UVB is Acadia T5 12% right at 10-12" from his bask spot depending on where he sits on the log
*Bask light is bright white
*Temps measured with digital probes are typically 106 on the hot side and 78 on the cool side
*Humidity is usually around 22-24%
*He gets 14hrs of day and 10hrs of complete dark
*He gets offered a salad every day, but has yet to touch it in his 2 months with us
*Gets calcium powder dusted on his roaches 5x week; multi-vitamim dusted 2x per week
*Flooring is reptile carpet
*I've handled him about once per day since I got him. He HATED it at first, but has warmed up to it. Still doesn't come to me, but won't run anymore when I try to pick him up.

Attachments

• 20220330_200932.jpg
    20220330_200932.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 20220327_143347.jpg
    20220327_143347.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20220327_114432.jpg
    20220327_114432.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 30

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

He's never been a big eater. I could never get him to eat crickets or bsfl after multiple attempts. His staple is dubias, but he would only eat ~10 to 12 small ones per day at most. I've yet to see him touch the daily salad I give him, yet I still out it in (Kale, collard greens, mustard greens, peppers, strawberries, blueberries.).

This past weekend, we changed his encloursure from to one of near identical size, but opens from front instead of at the top. Put on same cling background, same tank decorations and setup as before. The only change other than tank itself is I changed from an 18" T8 UVB to a 24" Arcadia T5 (12%).

Now 5 days since changing his enclosure, he has pretty much refused all food. He's only eaten a total of 2 small dubias in the past 5 days. How long can this go before I should get worried? What else can I try?

Things to know:
*UVB is Acadia T5 12% right at 10-12" from his bask spot depending on where he sits on the log
*Temps measured with digital probes are typically 106 on the hot side and 78 on the cool side
*He gets offered a salad every day, but has yet to touch it in his 2 months with us
*Gets calcium powder dusted on his roaches 5x week; multi-vitamim dusted 2x per week
*I've handled him about once per day since I got him. He HATED it at first, but has warmed up to it. Still doesn't come to me, but won't run anymore when I try to pick him up.
Ok your doing good not sure what is going on- how is he getting hydration ? Odd he doesn't eat the bsfl- all your lighting and uvb is excellent- he is now going thru relocation stress so his eating is going to be off- he should start eating more w/ all the temps and uvb good keep feeding him but we need for him to start eating salads even a couple of bites - put the roaches in the salad bowl do this right in front of him rinse the greens before serving so if he does eat them he will get some moisture - what does his poop look like? You can try some small/ medium size silk worms they stick to everything and are a good staple feeder - I have a website or two for those but they are high on shipping- how big are the roaches post his head beside one of the roaches

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
He gets misted every 1-2 days, and gets a bath 1-2 times per week.

Roaches are about the size of the space between his eyes per recommendations I received. There are a couple of larger ones in my roach tank, but I have not fed them to him because I don't think he's big enough to eat them yet.

I did try putting Roaches on his salad, but they immediately run out of the salad dish before he even thinks about eating anything there.

I will check out the silk worms online. The ones at my local pet store looked WAY too big for him. I ordered bsfl online and could not get him to eat a single one of them. After about 4 weeks, I gave up on them and tossed them out (they started turning into flies in the container!).

Crickets usually hop around his enclosure until I take them out or they just die. He ate probably less than 5 out of the dozens I've tried. Dubia roaches are the only thing I've ever gotten him to eat with any consistency.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He gets misted every 1-2 days, and gets a bath 1-2 times per week.

Roaches are about the size of the space between his eyes per recommendations I received. There are a couple of larger ones in my roach tank, but I have not fed them to him because I don't think he's big enough to eat them yet.

I did try putting Roaches on his salad, but they immediately run out of the salad dish before he even thinks about eating anything there.

I will check out the silk worms online. The ones at my local pet store looked WAY too big for him. I ordered bsfl online and could not get him to eat a single one of them. After about 4 weeks, I gave up on them and tossed them out (they started turning into flies in the container!).
Yes those bsfl flies would of been good to feed him- I will post a dish that can help w/the roaches escaping- please lay off the baths - they don't need that many - too many will dry his scales out- start using a eye dropper to drop water on his nose - I would do that once a week- the bathing may be stressing him out too much effecting the appetite

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes those bsfl flies would of been good to feed him- I will post a dish that can help w/the roaches escaping- please lay off the baths - they don't need that many - too many will dry his scales out- start using a eye dropper to drop water on his nose - I would do that once a week- the bathing may be stressing him out too much effecting the appetite
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

this is a nice dish made of glass - it will keep smaller roaches in it - not so much the bigger ones like large etc -- try this and see if this will help

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Picked one of those up from the local pet store to try your suggestion. So far, no interest. :(

Attachments

• 20220331_182626.jpg
    20220331_182626.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 28

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Picked one of those up from the local pet store to try your suggestion. So far, no interest. :(
Did you put the roaches in there in front of him? So it gets his attention- ok try some silks but get a small amount order smalls add them to the salad bowl in front of him please

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Did you put the roaches in there in front of him? So it gets his attention- ok try some silks but get a small amount order smalls add them to the salad bowl in front of him please
Yes, I did. Will try Silks. Anyone have a dependable website to order from?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, I did. Will try Silks. Anyone have a dependable website to order from?
I have a few but the shipping from this place is really high -- https://www.tcinsects.com/product/large-silkworms-for-sale/
www.reptilianarts.com
https://www.coastalsilkworms.com/ two places to order from east coast and west coast I have not ordered from here for a long time - last time I did I was not happy w/ the worms -- and I cant remember which coast I ordered from
How are you getting the humidity measured? I would get a digital probe humidity gauge like this
place this on the back center wall of your tank optimal humidity is 40-50% - nothing below 20 and over 70%

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the links. I have a dual digital probe temp and humidity Guage. I'm usually mid-20s in humidity. Just water bottle spray more in the to raise it?

Attachments

• 20220401_224248.jpg
    20220401_224248.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25

Krystal0

Juvenile Dragon

Things to know:

Cookie62

Bearded Dragon Egg

Things to know:
I went thru a similar situation with mine. First, I discovered I was handling him way too soon after getting him. He became very stressed and wouldn't eat at all. He got very thin and dehydrated.
I refused to let Barney die on me.
So after about 7 -8 days, I started giving him water through a dropper several times a day. If you put a right above their mouth, instinct will cause them to open their mouth. That's when I would get a few drops in him. It took several attempts to get him to drink more. Finally I could get him to take almost a whole dropper of water. It took several days of using the dropper, but he finally started looking better. His skin was looking fresher, not dry and wrinkled..He got better at taking the water, became a little more active. This went on for about 10 days...
By this time, it had been about 3 weeks since he had eaten.
Barney was looking better and better, so i put a cricket in his tank, AND HE ATE IT!
That rascal completely recovered and is doing great!!
Since your baby is just a baby, focus on proteins, veggies can wait if needed.

I think the water feeding bonded us, but I was "playing " with my beardie right from the start. Didn't give him any time to acclimate to his new home...
Give him time, but watch for dehydration. That's the most critical. Misting...doesn't cut it. They must get water inside their bodies. Since they aren't eating, then you may need to use a dropper too.
I added liquid vitamins once he started taking water. He didn't like that taste, but I managed to get small amounts of vitamins in him.

Things to know:

Things to know:
I went thru a similar situation with mine. First, I discovered I was handling him way too soon after getting him. He became very stressed and wouldn't eat at all. He got very thin and dehydrated.
I refused to let Barney die on me.
So after about 7 -8 days, I started giving him water through a dropper several times a day. If you put a right above their mouth, instinct will cause them to open their mouth. That's when I would get a few drops in him. It took several attempts to get him to drink more. Finally I could get him to take almost a whole dropper of water. It took several days of using the dropper, but he finally started looking better. His skin was looking fresher, not dry and wrinkled..He got better at taking the water, became a little more active. This went on for about 10 days...
By this time, it had been about 3 weeks since he had eaten.
Barney was looking better and better, so i put a cricket in his tank, AND HE ATE IT!
That rascal completely recovered and is doing great!!
Since your baby is just a baby, focus on proteins, veggies can wait if needed.

I think the water feeding bonded us, but I was "playing " with my beardie right from the start. Didn't give him any time to acclimate to his new home...
Give him time, but watch for dehydration. That's the most critical. Misting...doesn't cut it. They must get water inside their bodies. Since they aren't eating, then you may need to use a dropper too.
I added liquid vitamins once he started taking water. He didn't like that taste, but I managed to get small amounts of vitamins in him.

The pics tell the story

Attachments

• Polish_20220406_113758887.jpg
    Polish_20220406_113758887.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • Polish_20220406_114057689.jpg
    Polish_20220406_114057689.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Polish_20220406_114253550.jpg
    Polish_20220406_114253550.jpg
    822.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Polish_20220406_115113699.jpg
    Polish_20220406_115113699.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 21
  • Polish_20220406_120250863.jpg
    Polish_20220406_120250863.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 22

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Update on your dragon please
He's still not eating well at all. I got the silk worms, but he's still hesitant to eat. He's probably had a total of 12 small dubia and 1 silk worm over the last 10 days. He tends to eat 1 or 2 a day and then is just flat out not interested.

Here's a pic of him ignoring silk worms on his Kale from a few minutes ago. :(

Attachments

• 20220407_091343.jpg
    20220407_091343.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's still not eating well at all. I got the silk worms, but he's still hesitant to eat. He's probably had a total of 12 small dubia and 1 silk worm over the last 10 days. He tends to eat 1 or 2 a day and then is just flat out not interested.

Here's a pic of him ignoring silk worms on his Kale from a few minutes ago. :(
Ok so I dont know what is going on w / him other than hes going thru relocation stress - does he have stress marks? What about water have you been dropping water on his nose -- I would not give him any baths thats just gonna stress him out more - and he looks good now hes not skinny or anything - what does his poops look like dehydration his poop would be dried out looking and his urate dried out chalky looking -- you want them moist firm and dark and urate firm moist and white

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
I have been spraying him with a water bottle about once a day, and just tried doing the water dropper on his nose today. He refused to open his mouth to drink it, and just shook it off of his nose. Lol

I did get him to eat three small dubia roaches this evening, feeding them to him one at a time.

Here is a picture of his poop from today. Does this look normal?

Attachments

• 132225.jpeg
    132225.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 21

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have been spraying him with a water bottle about once a day, and just tried doing the water dropper on his nose today. He refused to open his mouth to drink it, and just shook it off of his nose. Lol

I did get him to eat three small dubia roaches this evening, feeding them to him one at a time.

Here is a picture of his poop from today. Does this look normal?
Why is there a yellow hue on the log? You want a solid clear bright white basking bulb + if it's a off white yellowish or a daytime bulb please change it out to something like this Exo Terra intense basking bulb-- or a Zoo med repti basking bulb-- can't really see the poop cuz of the hue

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Just the cell phone camera flash causing lighting issues. I'll take a better pic of the next poop as I've already cleaned that one out now.

His basking light is bright white by exo terra; no yellow tint