• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How feed when I'm gone

monkeybumpz

Juvenile Dragon
I'm going out of town I can't feed my guys. My room mates refuse to feed them. Any ideas on what to do? Is there a fruit or veggie I could leave out?
Would it be a good idea to leave a big bowl of meal worms?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How can you leave your beardies? It's hard enough going to work without them :(

I know right!!!! Last year my boyfriends family went away for 4 days for the July 4th holiday, I stayed home because I just couldn't leave Dexter!

You are not going to be gone very long, I think your beardies will be fine. I am in a similar situation, we are leaving next Wednesday night and coming home on Saturday. I plan to let them eat as much as they want for breakfast and lunch Wed and give baths. Then feed them again when I get back. Their lights are on timers so I don't have to worry about them. I have a cat sitter that can peek in on them but I don't trust him enough to open my tanks, he's elderly and might leave them open. I was actually thinking of buying little locks for all my tanks!

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yeh id just give them a big fat feed b4 u go n maybe leave a tub of worms. Im goin away in sep for 2 weeks n where we got Diego from does pet sitting wen u go away. They minding Diego n Boris for £5 a day including food. N we spend over 20 a week on food so all in all it dnt wprk out 2 bad i just hope they dnt hate me for it :)

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yep, just give a good big feed right before you go and leave a nice big pile of greens. Your dragon will be fine without food for a couple days.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Mine have been so picky about eating that I figure a few days without live food may trigger them to want to eat more!

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
They do sell something like a cricket feeder it looks like a rock and you fill it with crickets they slowly come out so your beardies can eat not sure how well it works though

Marmoset

Hatchling Dragon
How old are they? If they are still babies I personally wouldn't leave them. Adult dragons should be fine. Is there anyone you know who might be willing to feed them? Maybe your mates have a boyfriend/ girlfriend who would be willing to come in. I had to leave my new baby for the weekend and had a lady and her daughter come in to feed them and my other beasties. They didn't like handling the live feeders so they used plastic gloves (the non-powdery kind). They also used the gloves to lift the beardie during cage cleaning because they were worried about salmonella. There could be some way to work around your roommates' concerns about feeding. At the very least you could prepare salad on friday morning and just have them swap bowls of greens out while you are away.

Vitalli

Bearded Dragon Egg
When I went out of town for a week I gave my sister in laws 20$ to get 10 crickets every day. And just dump them in Vi's tank, so they wouldn't have to touch the crickets or anything. Even though you said your roommates don't want to, you should see if they would be willing to do that. Just tell then to run to the store and dump some crickets in there.