• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do you identify age and if overweight?

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
We brought Poppy home from Petco last Christmas and we were told that she arrived there 3 weeks before. Right now she is measured at 18” long. How old could she be? Also she looks a bit chubby. It could be totally normal but I’d like to have an idea of signs that indicate obesity. She eats well (Dubia roaches are her stable protein, kale and dandelion leaves are daily veggies) and she poops about every couple of days. She’s getting all the proper lighting (posted before here and Sadie was proofing it ).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cynthia

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We brought Poppy home from Petco last Christmas and we were told that she arrived there 3 weeks before. Right now she is measured at 18” long. How old could she be? Also she looks a bit chubby. It could be totally normal but I’d like to have an idea of signs that indicate obesity. She eats well (Dubia roaches are her stable protein, kale and dandelion leaves are daily veggies) and she poops about every couple of days. She’s getting all the proper lighting (posted before here and Sadie was proofing it ).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cynthia
Have you weighed her? How many times per week us she getting dubias?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Length is usually the best indicator of age but most beardies are missing parts of their tails So it’s not always a good one weight is normally the best I can check if she’s fat or not by the base of her tail does it feel harden boney or does it have some squish to it also the top of her head is it squishy or is it hard too, pictures of her hips, head, eyes and her on all fours of her belly would help.

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Length is usually the best indicator of age but most beardies are missing parts of their tails So it’s not always a good one weight is normally the best I can check if she’s fat or not by the base of her tail does it feel harden boney or does it have some squish to it also the top of her head is it squishy or is it hard too, pictures of her hips, head, eyes and her on all fours of her belly would help.
C7912856-8D5A-4B04-A8B5-C8F668B13C07.jpeg

do you think she is overweight?

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Not at all, she looks great :) she looks to be anywhere from 8 months to 2 years old to me, definitely either close to being an adult or an adult, if u could weigh her on a kitchen scale in grams thatd give up additional information.
Thanks for the advice. Attaching a couple of pictures of today when measuring her☺️. She hasn’t pooped but weighed 387g.
2E56ED18-B434-469D-A9BE-9B4DA2D559F8.jpeg
B4B57204-8AA4-45B2-B22B-D53118231517.jpeg
CE8119DF-CFBA-4EA0-BE1D-FA4FE1C685DA.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yea she’s older, id say she’s closer to being 2 rather than being 1 , my girl is close to 400, shes 20” and a year and 7 months

Attachments

• D5FBBC9E-A400-49A2-81CB-0239B99CF9F7.jpeg
    D5FBBC9E-A400-49A2-81CB-0239B99CF9F7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 6508E74C-39CB-4B3E-939B-317DC0B74FE1.jpeg
    6508E74C-39CB-4B3E-939B-317DC0B74FE1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Yea she’s older, id say she’s closer to being 2 rather than being 1 , my girl is close to 400, shes 20” and a year and 7 months
Your girl is so cute! she’s longer than our Poppy who is measured at 17.5”. Maybe Poppy is still a bit on the chubby side?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I think poppy looks good for her frame :) , they always could be skinnier or thicker in someone’s opinion.