• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do I change my beardies diet??

Dani_and_Athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m rescuing two bearded dragons next Tuesday and I have just found out they're not being fed the correct diet. Obviously I’m going to change it, but how would I do it in the lest stressful way??

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m rescuing two bearded dragons next Tuesday and I have just found out they're not being fed the correct diet. Obviously I’m going to change it, but how would I do it in the lest stressful way??
Good for you for being willing to take them in... What have they been eating?? Depending on the shape that they are in will kind of steer us in the right path for them...do you know more of their history?? pics?
I would offer them nice bowls of good greens like collard/mustard/turnip/dandelion greens those are great staple greens.. then any of the squash family like butternut is a fav, yellow/acorn/summer/zuc are good ones.. Don't over do fruits as they don't need the added sugars but favorites are blueberries, strawberries (mine love blackberries)
If you take a look below my comment you will find a couple links 1 is for new comer info on all areas of care and the other is a very large list of food items and how often things should be fed..

Dani_and_Athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you very much! Apparently they have been fed crickets every day and fresh herbs. One of them (left in picture) doesn’t look great and I’m worried she may have a impaction, as they’re not only fed live food every day but they’re also kept on sand.

Attachments

• 51EC8A57-03B9-4F21-A8A5-CFF545D6F665.jpeg
    51EC8A57-03B9-4F21-A8A5-CFF545D6F665.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They should not be kept together as they are solitary critters.. the bigger one is getting all the good uvb, food, heat etc..and the little one is in trouble and likely is malnourished, and is in risk of injury and or death by the larger one..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Well crickets and fresh herbs isn't a horrible diet, just not a varied balanced diet. Add some healthy greens like collards, dandelion, mustard and turnip and some good bugs like dubia, bsfl, silkworms and they should be on their way to a healthier life. I agree with Hdrydr31 about separating them ASAP, the smaller one will thrive once it is able to get some good heat and UVB.