• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How can I be sure Beirdo is getting enough to eat?

Gerald Smith

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so I’m curious about the number of insects my dragon eats daily. So I’ve read that he should be allowed to eat as many as he can in a 15min period three times a day. Many owners say theirs eat 100s of crickets a day. Based on that information I started giving around 15-20 crickets at a time to see how much he’d eat. For the first few he scampers excitedly to catch and eat them. Then he stops chasing them and maybe eat a few more if they happen to get close enough to him. Eventually he will ignore them completely and I have to catch the remainder and clear his cage. It’s hard to catch those buggers so I’ve started putting in less than 10 because that’s around all he’s ever eaten in a feeding. When he stops chasing them on his own I catch them and he’ll eat a couple more from my hand. But again after around 10 or so he stops eating even if I try to feed him by hand. Anyway based on other people’s comments I expected him to eat a lot more. What I really want to know is he really eating all he wants or could he stop short for other reasons? I thought maybe my presence may stress him out. But if I put a cricket on my forearm and reach out my hand to him he will scurry up my arm to get the cricket. I felt like he was getting more used to me because he wouldn’t eat from my hand before. I also feed him greens and carrots, dubias and an occasional mealworm all of which he gladly eats so it’s not like he doesn’t have an appetite. Any thoughts?

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
when my little Stryker was a baby she would get 10 to20 crickets 3 times a day and fresh greens daily. she is still a voracious eater at 5yrs but sometimes she won't eat if I'm watching her. now she doesn't eat crickets instead its butter worms, silk worms, dubias ,wax worms ,hornworms and greens .