• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hot and Cool?

ToriH

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had my beardie for about a year and a half now. I have a light fixture that you can fit 2 bulbs in. One of which is a night light (which i use for heat and night heat) and the other is a normal light to make his cage brighter. I have heard many people here talking about hot and cold sides. Is that necessary? He has no problems but if it is better for him then I would like to know.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have had my beardie for about a year and a half now. I have a light fixture that you can fit 2 bulbs in. One of which is a night light (which i use for heat and night heat) and the other is a normal light to make his cage brighter. I have heard many people here talking about hot and cold sides. Is that necessary? He has no problems but if it is better for him then I would like to know.
From what I've been told white or colored lights should not be used at night as bearded dragons need darkness for proper sleep. If heat is needed at night I was told to use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) and no lights. I was warned against using any coil lights, too.
The temperatures in the basking zone should be between 90-110 F, but varies a bit for age of your beardie I think. I was told it's best to have tank with different temperatures. Temperatures should gradually cool as the opposite side of the tank is reached from basking side. So you have a basking side, slightly cooler part in the middle, and cool side of about 80-85 F. Can't give exact reason, but it has something to do with the fact that they can't easily regulate their temperatures so use their environment to help them do it, I think. Experienced peeps can provide better, detailed information. I'm following above guides as that's what peeps here suggested and Dex is doing great. :)

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
From what I've been told white or colored lights should not be used at night as bearded dragons need darkness for proper sleep. If heat is needed at night I was told to use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) and no lights. I was warned against using any coil lights, too.
The temperatures in the basking zone should be between 90-110 F, but varies a bit for age of your beardie I think. I was told it's best to have tank with different temperatures. Temperatures should gradually cool as the opposite side of the tank is reached from basking side. So you have a basking side, slightly cooler part in the middle, and cool side of about 80-85 F. Can't give exact reason, but it has something to do with the fact that they can't easily regulate their temperatures so use their environment to help them do it, I think. Experienced peeps can provide better, detailed information. I'm following above guides as that's what peeps here suggested and Dex is doing great. :)
yup! they’re cold blooded so they rely on heat and cool to regulate their body temps. sometimes they’ll open their mouths to cool down too, sort of similar to dogs!