• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hornworms

Bones17

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know it might seem like a silly question and if it is; I'm sorry. But when would it be a good time to start Bones on hornworms? Would they be a good treat? Every other day sort of thing? How long do they keep for? I read that they're the caterpillar form of a moth? Just any info or tips would be awesome.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You can feed hornworms at any age. They are mostly water so when they bite into them they deflate. Hornworms grow fast, especially when kept near the basking lights so I would only get a few and keep them in a cooler spot in your room so they grow slow. You can feed one every other day or so. Sometimes dragons get watery poops if they have too many.

They are the larva of a hawk moth. They are a pain in the ass for farmers because in the wild they like to eat on tomato plants or other nightshade family crops. Since nightshade is poisonous, make sure you don't feed wild caught hornworms to your dragon.

Bones17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome! I keep finding places that sell them by the cups. Not even sure if he'll even like them. He doesn't like crickets... he runs away from them.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine were not to sure about them at first but after the first one they were all for them.. Yes too many will give them the runs..

Poisonedbite

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've never met a beardie yet that doesn't like hornworms. As others have said, too many will give them the tuns since they're mostly water. They're Sobek's favorite. He also hates crickets.