• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hives Whenever Holding Beardie

Shayne473

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry I wasn't sure where to put this thread considering it's my health and not my beardie's so I thought here would work. I've owned a few bearded dragons in the past with no issue, however I got a new baby back in October and he is very healthy. The only issue is whenever I hold him, I myself get hives on the skin his nails touch within minutes. My beardies prior did not do this to my skin so I'm confused. It has been a few years since I owned a beardie but I doubt my body would get an allergy in that time. Before anyone asks I have the details right here:
The substrate is a repticarpet that I spot clean whenever he poops and I deep clean it once a week.
Due to a major cricket shortage in my area (no store selling within 50 miles) my beardies live insect has been reduced to Flucker's Freeze Dried Crickets.
I tried cutting the nails but the skin still gets hives.

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what could be different than the others I've owned that would cause my skin to react like this. If any of you know of this or have experiences like this as well was it actually the beardie or was it stuff they came into contact with before handling? My only thought right now is the cricket dust but I highly doubt it would make my skin react that quickly from just second hand contact. Thank you very much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry I wasn't sure where to put this thread considering it's my health and not my beardie's so I thought here would work. I've owned a few bearded dragons in the past with no issue, however I got a new baby back in October and he is very healthy. The only issue is whenever I hold him, I myself get hives on the skin his nails touch within minutes. My beardies prior did not do this to my skin so I'm confused. It has been a few years since I owned a beardie but I doubt my body would get an allergy in that time. Before anyone asks I have the details right here:
The substrate is a repticarpet that I spot clean whenever he poops and I deep clean it once a week.
Due to a major cricket shortage in my area (no store selling within 50 miles) my beardies live insect has been reduced to Flucker's Freeze Dried Crickets.
I tried cutting the nails but the skin still gets hives.

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what could be different than the others I've owned that would cause my skin to react like this. If any of you know of this or have experiences like this as well was it actually the beardie or was it stuff they came into contact with before handling? My only thought right now is the cricket dust but I highly doubt it would make my skin react that quickly from just second hand contact. Thank you very much.
It is possible that its the cricket dust --- so in order to rule out what it could be you need to make some changes -- first NO more freeze dried crickets they are terrible for causing dehydration -- please order some dubia roaches from here
www.dubiaroaches.com this is a great place to get them
next I want you to change out the repticarpet for some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store cut it to the size of your tank clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution -- start there and if neither of those two things do it and your still breaking out then it is possible you have become allergic to the dragon -- but we need to eliminate what could be the cause -- it will be trial and error --

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Calcium carbonate seems like it might be the cause. It's used in reptile supplements, and a common allergic reaction is hives. Live plants or maybe even his poop/saliva could also be causing allergic reactions, but I'm not certain the last 2 are possible.