• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

His name shall be, SIDIOUS

Do you HAVE to feed your juvenile beardie LIVE insects or can I get away with dried ones??

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mjfreaks

Hatchling Dragon
HI! I am new to beardies and planning on getting mines for my birthday in June/July. I am overly excited and making list of things to buy and what lights to get, etc etc. I have a 20 gal tank that I know I will need to replace in like 3 months and Im ok with that. I have always wanted a Bearded Dragon.
I am originally from Missouri and being in NH has become a different atmosphere and I want a friend. Although the wife is great, I want someone to keep me company and I think a Beardie will help..plus they are cute.
Any advice...
I have a dog, Boxer and TWO lazy..seriously lazy cats lol.
I plan to put him on my desk..next to a window.
Thoughts? Concerns? Advice?

BeardedKevin

Bearded Dragon Egg
HI! I am new to beardies and planning on getting mines for my birthday in June/July. I am overly excited and making list of things to buy and what lights to get, etc etc. I have a 20 gal tank that I know I will need to replace in like 3 months and Im ok with that. I have always wanted a Bearded Dragon.
I am originally from Missouri and being in NH has become a different atmosphere and I want a friend. Although the wife is great, I want someone to keep me company and I think a Beardie will help..plus they are cute.
Any advice...
I'm not sure what others will say but I was always advised to keep my vivariums away from windows as it can make it more difficult to maintain the correct temperatures especially when the sun is shining in. But this might be an old wives tale. You won't regret getting a Bearded dragon though, they are great [emoji16]. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, welcome to the forum. Yeah, keep your viv away from direct sunlight or it may get too hot in there.
'Although the wife is great, I want someone to keep me company and I think a Beardie will help..plus they are cute. ' rofl! you are funny man, just dont tell the wife that bit.
To answer your survey, juvies need live food and lots of it, dried insects have little nutritional value, same with the pellets. Live bugs can be gut loaded with the veggies that you feed your dragon (that it will probably turn its nose up to at first, they are picky). I recommend dubia roaches, clean, easy to keep, long lived and by far the most nutritious bug out there.
There is a ton of info here at BDF and we are here to answer any specific questions you may have

mjfreaks

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks. Im a girl by the way but no worries...
I HATE BUGS lol. I was hoping to avoid it but if I must then I must. I am sure I will be fine. Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill try to set him up away from the window.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
There's some links under my comment with some general information on what to get etc. Dragons make great friends except you can't take them out to dinner or to the movies, so keep the wife around for that stuff!

Windows are fine as long as there is no draft and it's not subject to direct sunlight. I had mine in a window for years, but it was north facing window with another house next to it, so they could see stuff going on outside but not a whole lot.

Watch the cats with your lights. I know they are lazy but they could get curious for awhile.

mjfreaks

Hatchling Dragon
There's some links under my comment with some general information on what to get etc. Dragons make great friends except you can't take them out to dinner or to the movies, so keep the wife around for that stuff!

Windows are fine as long as there is no draft and it's not subject to direct sunlight. I had mine in a window for years, but it was north facing window with another house next to it, so they could see stuff going on outside but not a whole lot.

Watch the cats with your lights. I know they are lazy but they could get curious for awhile.

TH

Thanks for the reply and I will check out those links. We do have a house next door and that is what he would be looking at.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes they are great to have for sure!! If you remember this rule you will do just fine "live is always best" so that means live prey and fresh greens/veggies. Patsy and I put together the info that is in the links below our comments so if you have any questions feel free to ask away! We have written everything that you will need..
Dubia are by far the best feeder and they are super easy to house.

Thomas T

Bearded Dragon Egg
Any advice...
Dark sidious? As in Chancellor Palpatine?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk