• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hiding alot - suggestions / help needed

plow13

Bearded Dragon Egg
My dragon has been hiding most of the day for almost 3 weeks now. Looking to see if any tips or possible oversights. Backstory about him: Got him at reptile expo from a breeder when was approx 3 months old. Left him alone in his enclosure for a week. I have been slowly handling him. At first he was very skidish and ran away but now he will let me pick him up and doesnt run away.

• Dragon Age: Approx 7 months old
  • Enclosure: PVC 4x2x2
r/BeardedDragons - Husbandry help / Hiding
  • Basking Spot: 105 F (measured with temp gun)
  • Ambient Temps: Hot side - 80, Cool Side 75 (measure with Govee digital thermometers)
  • Night temps 70-71 F
  • UVB: Arcadia Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit 12% sitting on top of mesh
  • Heat Bulb: 90 watt Halogen on a dimmer switch
  • Humidity: 25-29%
  • Both lights and Heat are on auto timers.
I have taken him to the VET and they said he looks good. I opted for fecal test to rule out parasites. The test came back negative.

He is eating everyday but not as much as usual.

If i take him out and set him in his basking spot he stays there for an hour or so but them goes back to hiding.

He peaks his out of his hide around noon (lights and heat come on at 8am) but mostly stays in hide.

I offer salads everyday, which he has been eating a little of it.

Main staple of diet is dubia roaches. I powder them with a rotation of calcium, calcium with D3 and on the weekends multivitamin.

Anything you see that im doing wrong? Or maybe something i can switch up? or do i just have the laziest dragon ever?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My dragon has been hiding most of the day for almost 3 weeks now. Looking to see if any tips or possible oversights. Backstory about him: Got him at reptile expo from a breeder when was approx 3 months old. Left him alone in his enclosure for a week. I have been slowly handling him. At first he was very skidish and ran away but now he will let me pick him up and doesnt run away.

• Ambient Temps: Hot side - 80, Cool Side 75 (measure with Govee digital thermometers)
  • Night temps 70-71 F
I have taken him to the VET and they said he looks good. I opted for fecal test to rule out parasites. The test came back negative.

If i take him out and set him in his basking spot he stays there for an hour or so but them goes back to hiding.

He peaks his out of his hide around noon (lights and heat come on at 8am) but mostly stays in hide.

Main staple of diet is dubia roaches. I powder them with a rotation of calcium, calcium with D3 and on the weekends multivitamin.

Anything you see that im doing wrong? Or maybe something i can switch up? or do i just have the laziest dragon ever?
The surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- 95-100 your screen on the tank is fine mesh or a wide holed type?

plow13

Bearded Dragon Egg
The surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- 95-100 your screen on the tank is fine mesh or a wide holed type?
it is wide mesh. per manufacture site it allows 70% of uvb through

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please get a piece of decor directly under the uvb 8-10 inches- if you already have that I recommend you open the area up to allow full uvb into the tank-- I would increase the cool side temp to 80's lower - try this see if his behavior changes- is he basking at all?

PearlJ

Bearded Dragon Egg

• Night temps 70-71 F

This may be brumation. During colder months, bearded dragons basically go through hibernation but for reptiles. This happened with my beardie for about 2 months and I was sure he was dying. Once he came out more I took him to the vet and he was totally healthy. Brumation can last 2 weeks or 4 months. It’s also normal if a bearded dragon doesn’t go into brumation. Watching some YouTube videos has helped me a lot. If the vet says that they’re healthy, I’d trust the vet as long as it’s an exotic animal specific vet. Basically, if it’s brumation, just let the beardie do their thing and give them fresh water daily and if they come out offer them some food.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Where are you located, here in the US, or another country?
The Arcadia D3 12% T% tube is a great bulb indeed. How old is he? If he is younger than 6 months, he
definitely shouldn't be brumating but at around 7 months it is a possibility. Some have been known to
brumate at 5-6 months.
It is getting into Spring here in the US so not sure he should be just going into brumation now. His tank
appears to be bright enough, based on how it looks here. Since his tube bulb is on top of the screen, how
far from him is it when he basks?

Tracie

Latest posts