• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi!! New here trying to learn the site!

Pwninnoobs

Bearded Dragon Egg
C3E4173C-C598-4EA6-8861-68145E75CD29.jpeg
Brand new here been playing around the site for the last hour. Wanted to tell e setons thank you. I learned Ed a lot from this site over the last 2 months and have healthy growing BD’a thanks to you folks! As of now I have the bottom of their Terrarium tile. Was wondering if I should put something softer in there for night time. They seem to sleep any where and have been growing fast. Just wondering about it lately..thoughts?

Attachments

• 53D2CF40-D084-4AD8-B450-60885A639E1B.jpeg
    53D2CF40-D084-4AD8-B450-60885A639E1B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
They're awfully cute. Are you housing them together? They really shouldn't be kept together. You may come home one day to a tragedy. And one is typically dominant, taking the best heat, light, and food.

For nighttime, I often wrap Jayne in a fleece blanket. However, it's really more for my sake than for hers. She doesn't really seem to care either way. It's not like she's making a bunch of body heat that needs to be contained. Her bricks retain a lot of heat, so she just snuggles down on them and cools down slowly. She doesn't get into the blanket on her own, even if it's available to her. And she won't get out of it in the morning until I unwrap her--no matter how late it is or how long her lights have been on.

Pwninnoobs

Bearded Dragon Egg
I bought them from a breeder who raises all of his together. He had like 30 all different sizes in different terrariums. I didn’t want to separate them but have heard what you said. I feed them individually. I figured if they day comes I will separate them but as of now they seem to really get along. We’re not 100 on if they are male or female, I was told it could take up to 8 months to find out (internet). I did the flash light thing with the bumps under them. They were born in September.

Last night I thought about that fleece thing and will probably give that a shot. They both pass out as soon as the lights go out so what ever I’m doing seems to be working.

Back on caging them together. I have security cameras at my house and installed one to the outside of my tank to be able to keep an eye on them from my phone. It gives me piece of mind for them and the fact I have a hot ass light burning at my house all day..

Pwninnoobs

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have two kids and will end up probably separating them when I get a new tank and just keep one in each of their rooms. It’s funny how much I care about these little guys/girls. They are so cool

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
That's a great idea. I'm sure your kids would love that. My sons have a leopard gecko in their room. One of my girls really wants a rubber boa in their room.
Looking at your avatar photo, with the one beardie on the other's back, that's a sign of dominance. A lot of people think it's them being cute and loveable. It's not. It's one blocking the heat and UV from the other one. So be aware that you already have dominance displays, even while they're tiny. It can quickly turn to violence.
We were able to sex mine at around 4-5 months old. Some are more clear than others.

Pwninnoobs

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I appreciate this. The last few weeks they both kinda have been switch places with who lays on top. We will see I’ll keep you updates.

Side note the one thing that’s difficult is the internet and talking with pet shops/breeders even went to a reptile expo. Not one person says the same thing about how to raise them. Everyone has different opinions. Seeing you have had one for a while I feel comfortable talking with you and others in here which is why I joined. So. :) thanks!! I’ll be providing updates over their life span.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Updates are great! A good rule Patsy here taught me: If nine people say one thing is best and one person says different, go with the nine.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
And remember that pet shops and many of the breeders are out for money. They’ll tell you whatever they can to make sure you buy as much as possible from them: multiple animals, equipment you don’t need, etc. If your animal should die young, even better. You’ll hopefully come back to them and buy another. Forums like this are great. People aren’t out to make a sale, they just love their animals and want to make sure other people can love their animals and keep them safe and healthy.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Love you @Janelle :D

I'll give a few personal stories about cohabiting, the first thing I read was don't cohab but I think we all kinda think we are going to have a different experience. Dexter was 1 and I was afraid she was going to go into brumation in winter and I would miss her terribly. I went to Petco and one of the babies claimed me. I thought about it for a week and then brought it home. Dexter and Luci were BFF, seriously I would let them run around the house together and they would sit on the back of the couch together and look out the window. Luci would sit on her back and run all over her and they were great together. At about 4 months, I learned Luci was a boy so it made me watch them together a little closer. At about 9 months I was sitting on the floor with Dexter next to me. Luci came running up and jumped on her and bit the back of her neck. Luckily I was there to scoop her up and that was the last time they had play time together. We had a few other instances with them. Once I had Dexter on the floor in another room and my boyfriend didn't know and he let Luci out in the reptile room. He made a beeline right for Dexter and again jumped her and bit her neck. The last time it happened. I was sitting on the couch HOLDING Dexter on my shoulder. Luci came running full speed from the reptile room (you can't see us from the reptile room) and he ran up my leg and jumped onto my plate of food trying to get her! It's very terrifying to see especially since you can't stop him because he only has one thing on his mind.

Now they sometimes say "oh you have 2 girls, they can be housed together" WRONG! 2 years after we got Luci, we rescued Dolly. She was 2 at the time and the sweetest mistreated dragon you could ever meet. Dolly got her own tank but we would take her out at the same time that Dexter was out because they are girls you know. Usually I would hold Dexter while Dolly ran around on the floor. Dolly HATES Dexter with a passion! As soon as she sees her her beard gets darker and she puffs it out and sometimes even opens her mouth. She's never tried to get at Dexter but she definitely makes her presence known. Even if she sees Dexter through the tank it makes her mad.

I know that some people have successfully housed two dragons together with no problem but you never know when they are going to turn on each other. Some can live together for years and then something snaps and they attack. In my opinion, it's not worth even trying. Seeing first hand how violent they are, I wouldn't risk it. Dragons are solitary creatures amongst their own kind but they thrive on attention from their humans.

Your dragons are adorable by the way!

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
:D Love right back @PatsyB You've been a Godsend at keeping Jayne so happy and healthy. I appreciate it so much. Thanks for sharing your experiences! I only have one beardie at the moment, but I could so see myself getting another or rescuing one in the future. It's good to hear first-hand experiences to remind us why we do what we do and why we don't do what we don't do.