• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi from Texas!

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hiya there!

My name is Dawn and I'm in Central Texas. I have four kiddoes, 1 hubby, 2 dogs (great dane and chihuahua), 2 cats, 2 parrot (African Grey and Black-headed Caique), 3 horses, and 2 geckos.

Yup, my house is full! My daughter has informed me recently that she would like a bearded dragon. Oi! So I'm online doing some research. We got our geckos for my youngest son when he was in 5th grade (7th grade now). He's done a terrific job with them. I've decided to start breeding our own meal worms and superworms since we live out in the country and it's too dang far to get them when we run out. My daughter is in 5th grade this year, very responsible and straight A student. I suggested that she get a reptile, rather than another dog or cat (not that the hubby would allow another dog or cat, LOL).

I'm planning on building a vivarium for the beardie, and maybe a new one for the geckos so they can stack (I did say my house was full). Found great plans for it, now just have to get the materials and pray for some warmer weather to put everything together. I'm planning on making it 4x2x2. I also plan on doing some propylene hides and sides.

There are so many products out there, I'm just getting confused right now. Is a basking light just a 150 W (or whatever W is needed) bulb? Or do I have to buy a "basking" bulb like from ZooMed? And the UVB bulb should span most of the enclosure?

Wanted to ask a probably stupid question, but why don't beardies use a moist hide like the geckos do to help with shedding? Just wondering.

Oh, and are there any breeders in Texas? All posts I've found are very out of date and even some websites that I've found are not up to date. I got our geckos from the pet store, and they have done great, but through experience (rodents) animals from the pet store are can be taking a chance.

Anyhoo! Nice to meet everyone.
Dawn

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Welcome to the forum!

As far as the basking bulb, in one of my tanks I have a zoomed basking bulb and in my other tank I just have a Par38 Halogen Flood Light. The flood light works just as good as the zoomed and will last longer. The UVB should reach about 2/3 of the tank.

I really don't have an answer about the moist hide. The only thing I can think of is that beardies are more susceptible to respiratory infections if the humidity is too high.

I got both of my beardies from the pet store and they are fine. Although, I did have a couple of pet store frogs and geckos that didn't do so well. You do take a chance. When I got my beardies I picked the ones that seemed the most alert, the ones that were interested in me, they had all their fingers and toes and tail, and the eyes were clear.

Good luck with the build. When we got our second bearded dragon we bought a wire shelving unit so that we could stack them on top of each other. It takes up so much less space that way.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome! Your enclosure sounds like a wonderful size. I hope you take step by step pictures as you build the enclosure. I have a gecko too just be prepared because baby dragons eat allot. At least mine does. I think your daughter will fall in love with dragons, They have so much character. There are online breeders that ship and local pet stores. I have seen cute baby dragons at out local Petco & Petsmart. I look forward to meeting your new dragon when you get it !!!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got both of mine as adults. Don't have experience with babies but I know they eat a lot. Crickets is my understanding. Like 15 crickets three times a day. I'm sure they can eat other small live animals but again not my area of expertise. I got both of mine off of Craigs list.

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome! I wasn't too sure about the geckos at first and feeding them. LOL. I got the willies every time I had to mess with the mealies. I can handle them fine now thankfully. And the girls have definitely grown on me. My son named them Geico and Insurance. LOL. My fault probably since I named our cats Rayne and Storme. We get crickets every once in a while, but the girls are not too interested. Was looking into dubias, but I get the willies just looking at them and my hubby gave an adamant no. LOL.

I'm eager to get started on the enclosure. Thank goodness I work from home and at the moment my studio is not put together, so I have some time to fill. I'll try to remember pics. Gotta go over an hour away to get more mealies. My order didn't ship and it won't ship until Monday. Apparently the last batch I got from the pet store was a majority of babies.

I think my daughter will be very happy too. She's not to impressed with the girls as they are always asleep when she wants to do something with them. LOL. She was very happy to find out that the beardies are not nocturnal. I confess, I'm pretty excited myself. Beardies are beautiful. I was never allowed any pets growing up so now my home is filled with kids and animals. I've been blessed being able to stay home to take care of them all. Never would be able to do this if I worked a normal 9-5.

Thanks again for the welcome. Must get moving.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's what we didn't like about the geckos, we wanted something that we could interact with a bit more. I already have whites tree frogs and they are nocturnal so where they are pretty to look at we don't really touch them unless we have to. Bearded dragons are not only beautiful to look at but they have the greatest personalities. You're daughter is going to love hers!

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, it's taking all my willpower not to go out and just find one now. I have another smaller tank that would be fine for a baby, but I know it's better to have everything all set first. I might be a smidge more excited than my daughter. LOL