• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Greetings,

I'm a new owner of a bearded dragon, having agreed to babysit one while his owner was away which became full-time ownership.

I decided to sign up after finding this place through a search about white spots I've noticed on my beardie, seems it's related to shedding but as a new owner I welcome any advice as to what ownershop entails, although I have learned a fair bit myself at this point I still feel new to the experience of owning a reptile so felt signing up would benefit me and more importantly him.

I'm not good at this introduction stuff but yeah, hello :p

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Greetings,

I'm a new owner of a bearded dragon, having agreed to babysit one while his owner was away which became full-time ownership.

I decided to sign up after finding this place through a search about white spots I've noticed on my beardie, seems it's related to shedding but as a new owner I welcome any advice as to what ownershop entails, although I have learned a fair bit myself at this point I still feel new to the experience of owning a reptile so felt signing up would benefit me and more importantly him.

I'm not good at this introduction stuff but yeah, hello :p
LOL exactly how i got my dragon, but i love him dearly,
First thing everyone will ask is about your lighting, should just tell us what your using and temps,
And we love pics show off your dragon and tank
And welcome to the forum

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg
LOL exactly how i got my dragon, but i love him dearly,
First thing everyone will ask is about your lighting, should just tell us what your using and temps,
And we love pics show off your dragon and tank
And welcome to the forum

Haha same, much as it is costing me a fortune I love the guy, it's like having a little dinosaur :D

As for temps that's something I'll likely need advice with as it happens so I'm glad you brought it up.

My cousin actually bought a thermometer timer thing so I personally haven't had to mess with the settings yet, but I've just bought a new UVB light and a heat lamp bulb and don't know how to install them or whether that will affect the timer, I'm assuming it'll be easy enough but as my Dragon hasn't been handled by me yet he'll still be in the vivarium while they're changed most likely, which makes it a bit more difficult :p

I've got the stuff I need but I'm weary of messing anything up, I feel like he definitelt needs a new UVB though, I see him gaping still but not often so I'll be changing the heat lamp just to be safe.

As for my current temp, the vivarium itself is at about 90%, but tbh I usually check it later in the afternoon so it's possible it's started cooling down at that point, but the heat lamp I can't actually tell until I buy a probe thermometer, I don't think.

Thanks for the welcome mate, I appreciate any advice that'll make me a better owner so it seems I've come to the right place :)

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Haha same, much as it is costing me a fortune I love the guy, it's like having a little dinosaur :D

As for temps that's something I'll likely need advice with as it happens so I'm glad you brought it up.

My cousin actually bought a thermometer timer thing so I personally haven't had to mess with the settings yet, but I've just bought a new UVB light and a heat lamp bulb and don't know how to install them or whether that will affect the timer, I'm assuming it'll be easy enough but as my Dragon hasn't been handled by me yet he'll still be in the vivarium while they're changed most likely, which makes it a bit more difficult :p

I've got the stuff I need but I'm weary of messing anything up, I feel like he definitelt needs a new UVB though, I see him gaping still but not often so I'll be changing the heat lamp just to be safe.

As for my current temp, the vivarium itself is at about 90%, but tbh I usually check it later in the afternoon so it's possible it's started cooling down at that point, but the heat lamp I can't actually tell until I buy a probe thermometer, I don't think.

Thanks for the welcome mate, I appreciate any advice that'll make me a better owner so it seems I've come to the right place :)
Not sure where Sadie and skybug are, but you definitely need a uvb no coils, go spend a little more and get correct lighting! It is life and death for your dragon.
If he is young his temps should be little hotter,
With a hide on cool side of tank.
Gaping is good white hot basking lights no color bulbs bad for his eyes,
You need vitamins and calcium,
Lol the small fortune you mentioned
Good news is once all set up the cost is minimal.
Just do it right the first time save vet visits and scares,
Go ahead and start handling your dragon, they love human contact, and need baths regular, my dragon is fully house trained won't go in his tank, likes water, or out in the grass. I'll stop yammering but go ahead and ask questions these guys are great.

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Not sure where Sadie and skybug are, but you definitely need a uvb no coils, go spend a little more and get correct lighting! It is life and death for your dragon.
If he is young his temps should be little hotter,
With a hide on cool side of tank.
Gaping is good white hot basking lights no color bulbs bad for his eyes,
You need vitamins and calcium,
Lol the small fortune you mentioned
Good news is once all set up the cost is minimal.
Just do it right the first time save vet visits and scares,
Go ahead and start handling your dragon, they love human contact, and need baths regular, my dragon is fully house trained won't go in his tank, likes water, or out in the grass. I'll stop yammering but go ahead and ask questions these guys are great.

Attachments

• 20211006_121140.jpg
    20211006_121140.jpg
    877.4 KB · Views: 5

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the welcome too Yvonne :)

And I forgot to mention my UVB light is a Desert 10% UVB, I can't remember the measurements and wattage exactly (I'm autistic and numbers and dates and stuff are always a pain for me to remember :p) but I'll check when I feed him.

As for his age I'm not sure exactly but I think he's at least two, so he's in his adult stage. I'll have to double check his age with my cousin but yeah I think he's about two.

What sort of vitamins should I get him? I have calcium and give him that two to four times a week, is that about right? I had some pellet things for him but he didn't seem to like them, I just found them all over the floor so I've no idea what he's up to when I'm not in there :p

I have stroked his tail and feed him his crickets to help him bond with me but I don't think he's used to handling him as his previous owner was scared of him :p

And as for a bath I actually bought him a pretty big water bowl which I haven't seen him use but judging by all the sand in it each day he does :p

Would you say 90% C is a good heat setting for an adult or should I change it?

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for the welcome too Yvonne :)

And I forgot to mention my UVB light is a Desert 10% UVB, I can't remember the measurements and wattage exactly (I'm autistic and numbers and dates and stuff are always a pain for me to remember :p) but I'll check when I feed him.

As for his age I'm not sure exactly but I think he's at least two, so he's in his adult stage. I'll have to double check his age with my cousin but yeah I think he's about two.

What sort of vitamins should I get him? I have calcium and give him that two to four times a week, is that about right? I had some pellet things for him but he didn't seem to like them, I just found them all over the floor so I've no idea what he's up to when I'm not in there :p

I have stroked his tail and feed him his crickets to help him bond with me but I don't think he's used to handling him as his previous owner was scared of him :p

And as for a bath I actually bought him a pretty big water bowl which I haven't seen him use but judging by all the sand in it each day he does :p

Would you say 90% C is a good heat setting for an adult or should I change it?

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Your looking fir basking temp around 100 to105 F
Cool side should have shade and lower temp, at night it can go to low 70 but 12 hours light 12 hours dark,
Water, they don't drink standing water get a spray bottle and mist him see if he licks it from his nose, water dish is good fir bathing but, i encourage you to take the plunge, pick him up,
Take him to the tub, with little warm water in it you can run the faucet mine loves to get himself under it, helps him move his Bowles
You got a good light now you need the right distance, 10 to 15"above no mesh between him and it if possible,
Not sure where you live, but the sunlight is great as well, a little time in a window or outside is great for them!
Good thing about dragons is they aren't very fast, but they are clumsy, so make sure you keep him low and watch him, but you will see they like to cuddle, small room to start, but bonding is important so you know his signals and he will let you know what he needs, like bath food, and love, amazing animal the dragon is,

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks!

With regards UVB lighting I bought this yesterday for my dragon but don't know how to fit it xD Any help would be appreciated, I feel like I should be able to just pull it out but I don't want to break it so I'm weary of taking any chances

To change light just turn it gently till it comes out, don't be scared, you rescued a dragon!
Now you are "mother of dragons" no fear, (or) father) lol what i mean is enjoy your new pet, they are pretty easy to care for, just bugs salad and light, but he isn't a plant you should get to know her, and companion animals they are great at that,, would love to see pic and what's her name?

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg
To change light just turn it gently till it comes out, don't be scared, you rescued a dragon!
Now you are "mother of dragons" no fear, (or) father) lol what i mean is enjoy your new pet, they are pretty easy to care for, just bugs salad and light, but he isn't a plant you should get to know her, and companion animals they are great at that,, would love to see pic and what's her name?

Thanks for the help, I'll be giving the light another go in a bit, I think the ends actually pull away from it and then you can attach them to the new one, they seem to be attached to wires, rather than fixed in place as I thought (though the light bar itself has fittings and is right near the top of the tank) so it may be easier than expected. I just have visions of it shattering because I'm heavy handed so I'll have to be delicate today haha.

In terms of misting I had actually asked the guy in my local pet shop if he had any misting bottles and he told me they can actually lead to respiratory infections, have you heard anything about this? It does seem a pretty wide-spread practice so I have wondered whether he was right or not?

I will try and get some pics up but I am currently using a faulty phone which often doesn't take them, but I will endeavour to do so so I can get a review of my set up, I feel like it could probably be reorganised so I'm sure it'll be helpful :)

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for the help, I'll be giving the light another go in a bit, I think the ends actually pull away from it and then you can attach them to the new one, they seem to be attached to wires, rather than fixed in place as I thought (though the light bar itself has fittings and is right near the top of the tank) so it may be easier than expected. I just have visions of it shattering because I'm heavy handed so I'll have to be delicate today haha.

In terms of misting I had actually asked the guy in my local pet shop if he had any misting bottles and he told me they can actually lead to respiratory infections, have you heard anything about this? It does seem a pretty wide-spread practice so I have wondered whether he was right or not?

I will try and get some pics up but I am currently using a faulty phone which often doesn't take them, but I will endeavour to do so so I can get a review of my set up, I feel like it could probably be reorganised so I'm sure it'll be helpful :)
Never ever listen to pet store ppl, they mean well but, are not anything but ppl who work in a pet store! Lol
Misting is good for them when shedding too,
What he probably meant was misting the tank will make it humid,, water in the tank in general will make it humid,
No water dish is needed for your dragon!
I take Rusty for bath 2 to 3 times a week, and gut load his bugs,
No water in tank.
Offer fresh salads, they are picky if spoiled,
Super worms are great but fatty, i hate crickets, but get a few sometimes so he can hunt! They say dubies but i cant living in Canada! Your best bet is get him on your routine,
And he will become easy to care for,

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Never ever listen to pet store ppl, they mean well but, are not anything but ppl who work in a pet store! Lol
Misting is good for them when shedding too,
What he probably meant was misting the tank will make it humid,, water in the tank in general will make it humid,
No water dish is needed for your dragon!
I take Rusty for bath 2 to 3 times a week, and gut load his bugs,
No water in tank.
Offer fresh salads, they are picky if spoiled,
Super worms are great but fatty, i hate crickets, but get a few sometimes so he can hunt! They say dubies but i cant living in Canada! Your best bet is get him on your routine,
And he will become easy to care for,
Get yourself a worm tank?
Do you have 1, lol I'll post a pic, i buy super worms at pet store 100 for like 10 bucks, kale greens and anything i can find at grocery store, Rusty is picky and spoiled, but i offer veg every day weather he eats it or not, I think you can see on top little tank, that's fir worms, gut load is feeding them before feeding him, win win!

Attachments

• 20211009_141802_HDR.jpg
    20211009_141802_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5